What happened to America?

Do you think America has become more polarized and divided over the past few years? Why or why not?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 5:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. Half the country wants a free ride/social programs rather than earning their keep/being productive, and the other half is sick of paying for it all. The politicians love it because it allows them more and more control (that our COTUS was written to prevent).

I think that it's going to come to a head sooner rather than later, because the working stiffs are about at their limit. The same goes for those with a large cash flow. It is THEIR money, not the gubmint's and not the non-working (no matter how much the POTUS says otherwise), and they are going to reach a point where they say enough is enough. Quite frankly I'm already there. I'm sick of seeing our retirement chipped away to fund the 20/30 somethings that have never worked or think they 'deserve' a free ride.

The divide is only going to get larger from here on out if things don't change.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think we've always been divided, but with modern technology--ie: cafemom; email, instant messaging, ie: twitter, etc. we've become much more VOCAL about expressing our opinions, with greater access, speed and frequency, than in years past. We're able to acquire much more information and knowledge than ever before at the click of a button, and are not limited to our local newspaper or news channel.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• America has always been divided.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 5:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with seturkey, we Americans have always been polarized/divided.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes, and I have to say I think it is the leadership in the Congress and the WH, all the czars, and the stance taken by the gov't to stand against entire states that have helped drive this. These people are the "conductors" of this "symphony" and they are proving to be not very good at it. When we have good conductors, we make beautiful music as a country.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes, because there has been a movement of negativity, selfishness and fear since our President was elected in 2008. Resentful,fearful and paranoid people have been spreading their bad news and pessimism to gullible people and it has spread like a virus. I can't recall a more insdiously nasty, polarizing mood since 1960 when Protestants were afraid of JFK being elected because he was Catholic and they feared he would let the Pope rule America. That was sick and we are seeing the same prejudicial thinking now with the current situation.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Totally
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think we are very much divided, and politicians love that. I think that is why the race card is pulled so much, among other things. As long as people are up in arms divided over something, they wont come together and fix the problem, which , largely, is fat cat politicians.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes,very much so.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 7:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes and it is VERY sad!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2010