A day in the life of your three year old (or soon to be three)

What does a day look like for your three year old? What does it entail? How structured do you have your child's day? What kind of activities do you do? Especially if you and your child are home all the time, what does an average day look like? Do you have a schedule? If so, how does it go?

(trying to find a better way to structure my kid's day, lol)

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 5:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is my day too!
    Wake up 7:30
    Dress
    Eat
    Hair and teeth
    Drive to preschool with me and Papa
    Preschool - 9
    Pick up from preschool -12
    Lunch
    Craft, Book, outdoor play, or Park
    Nap
    Get up
    Snack
    Craft, Book, or Park
    TV or alone play or help me prepare dinner
    Dinner
    Clean up
    Talk and/or game activity
    Jeopardy with me and papa
    Snack and drink
    Teeth brush and pjs
    Story
    Tuck in and prayer
    Sleep

Wed at 6 pm - she has dinner and a visit with a friend of her mother's and comes home at 8:30
    Sat 10:30 am - Ballet class
    Tues 6 - swimming class
    Thurs 3 - goes to Uncles and spends night with cousins. They take her to preschool on Friday morning.
    Sun - Sunday school

It makes me wonder how I ever managed with three kids, job, school, and a life.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We have a weekly schedule, but not so much a daily schedule. She wakes up around 8 and eats breakfast around 9.
    On Sunday we go to church in the morning.
    On Monday we go to a play group in the afternoon
    On Tuesday we go to Community Bible Study in the morning and small group Bible study in the evening
    On Wednesday we to to the library for story time at 1:30
    On Thursday we visit a lady who is house bound in the afternoon.
    On Friday we stay home
    On Saturday we stay home unless we've planned some other activity.
    I homeschool my 5 year old either in the morning or the afternoon each week day so she just kind of hangs out, colors or listens to the story we read or something. The rest of the day she plays around with her brother.
    Lunch is anywhere from 12:00 to 2:00
    Dinner is around 6 or 7
    bedtime is 10:00
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Remember that they learn SO much by just playing..........sandbox, etc. AND by you talking to him about what you are doing and when you are at the grocery store explaining things to him, etc. Simply look at everything as a learining experience. You are a fabulous mom!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• By the time my two were 3 years old they were in preschool, so that was two mornings a week. Also, they had given up their naps. I liked running any errands in the morning......so after breakfast and some "hanging out" time we got dressed and did groceries and other errands. Then it was home for lunch and the rest of the day was usually playing in the yard (swings and sandbox), maybe go for a walk/have friend over, or just playtime inside so I could do laundry, etc. One activity they loved was playing in the sink. I would fill the sink half way with water and give them plastic cups, containers, funnels. They would stay there forever! I would be nearby to make sure things stayed under control at the sink. Later in the day it was get ready for supper and they sometimes helped with that in some small way. After supper was playtime with DH, baths, getting ready for bed, reading, cuddling, bed. Hope this was helpful.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I find that it is essential that outside noise like tv is nonexistent during all meals. We sit down together and we get a lot of talking in. We find out about her thoughts and she finds out about ours.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• we did the basics during the week and fun things on weekend
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• There are things that we do each day but I don't have set times for them. We take our dog for a walk (or two), we have reading time, we have puzzle time, we work on our states and our solar system, we work on whatever letter we are doing that week. But I pretty much read how my daughter is feeling. If she does not seem like she is ready to sit and work on states at a certain time then maybe we will skip that for a bit and go for a walk.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thanks so far everyone! I think half of my problem is my mother having me think I have to have him more structured then he really needs to be.... I think, though, with him not being in daycare or preschool I'm trying to at least give him some of that at home.... Our schedule is:

About 8, wake up, eat, watch one episode of Barney or Blues Clues
    then do some ABC activities - watch a couple of ABC videos on Youtube, play an ABC game on sesamestreet.org, maybe flashcards or going through one of his ABC activity books
    then coloring/finger painting
    then free time for a while
    then lunch time
    and then I've been trying to have naptime, but its hit or miss if he takes one, so usually I put on a movie and tell him its "quiet" time

Its after nap/"quiet" time that things start to get complicated... when its warm enough we may go outside, but I really don't have anything we do every single day. And I don't drive to go out anywhere... :(
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I do try to read to him every day, though... And he has a slide that he likes to play on, and we have a sandbox that we found that I need to clean out and get sand for....
    bandgeek521

• Haha, thanks! There are days when it doesn't feel like it. I guess we all feel like that, though... ;)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010