How Much?

How much do you spend on your Children for Christmas and Birthdays? Do they get money? Do you have a certain number of gifts they get? Do they have a certain dollar amount each one gets?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 8:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Holidays

• Wow...reading these answers...these people must go broke for Christmas and bdays! I am not into spoiling my children, especially Christmas...its about Jesus, not gifts. We spend about $50 for bdays, every once in a while its a bit more, and sometimes less. I dont have an exact amount for Christmas but the kids each get 3 gifts, symbolizing the gifts Jesus was given at birth. Usually its a "big" gift, medium and small. We also fill their stockings and on Christmas Eve they open jammies and a family game for us all to play that night. I like to keep Christmas under $500, thats for 4 children. My hubby and I dont buy for each other.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 5:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Birthdays and Christmas have no limits for us. I spend as muc as I can really. And I like having many many presents under the Christmas tree and I love watching them un wrapping for a loooong time!! :)
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 8:06 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• this year i spent $150 total for 3 kids and that includes 2 birthdays for a soon to be 2 and 1 year old. we have limited means so everything was put on layaway and decided we didn't need to go crazy at this age. the 2 and 1 year old's birthdays are 3 weeks apart with Christmas smack dab in the middle so we have it a little tough in that area! my oldest's birthday is wednesday, she will be 4 and her birthday present is going to be a party at chuck e cheese, which in itself will be about another $150 after the cost of the party and cake.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• from my dh and i, we (ok, i'm the one who does all the shopping, of course) will spend about $200/birthday, maybe $300/xmas...and that does not include clothing/shoes. he gets from grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins..he gets plenty, if not too much.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• tons and tons of gifts for christmas, one or two on the birthday because they are rather close together. (bday & xmas) I think one xmas I spent a grand. Seems the older they get the more expensive it is. Now he's older and it has become more about being together than receiving gifts. I think that was the part he liked best anyway. (I know I know, a grand, excessive)
    Some1Somewhere

Answer by Some1Somewhere at 8:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We have one child plus a few nieces and nephews we buy for, along with other gifts. Our budget is small and J isn't materialistic. I've never had to deal with the gimme's from him. We set a price we can afford, usually $60 or $70 total for him, and a small budget for everyone else's gifts. For J we get him 2, 3 gifts max. He has other people buying for him as well and doesn't need to be overwhelmed.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We spend a certian amount at income tax time usually around $1200 and get the bulk and then we usually buy more each month. The only thing I keep track of is if each child has a large present.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sorry I spend abut $100 on birthdays but sometimes it gets to be more.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Birthdays now is money.... all of my children are grown, but I am raising a grandson who is 9 and 5 other grandchildren that
    we buy for...
    Christmas really doesn't have a dollar amount... I get a list from the kids and they usually will get 2-3 of the items off the list...
    exp for the grandson we are raising, he is our baby...LOL... and does tend to get a bit more....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We spent about 50 for her 1 yr birthday, and this year for Christmas, since we now have 2 kids, we will probably spend close to 150, maybe a little less. Next year though, there will be a 2 yr bday in august and a 1 yr bday in sept, so it will be close to 200 probably, and then at Christmas probably close to 300. lol
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2010