How long can it take for post partum depression to show?

My son is now six months old, and I love him to death, but there are times when I find that I just can't handle it. I'm a 20 year old single mother. I have noticed in the past few weeks that I just don't want to get out of bed in the morning. I can't help but to break down in tears sometimes, and I don't know what to do about it.
How serious can this get if I don't do something about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Health

• Some people manage their PPD, others can become violent or worse. I think you're very brave admitting that you're having issues, I think a lot of people don't want to admit what they're going through. The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor about getting on some medication and possibly talking to a therapist. If you EVER have violent thoughts or feelings towards your baby, PLEASE get help immediately. It's always better to seek help than to let it continue on. You'll feel a lot better and you'll learn how to manage your issues. Good luck mama =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• it can start immediately....do you have insurance? is it possible that it covers counseling?
    MiraclesDHappen

Answer by MiraclesDHappen at 4:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I've dealt with it for weeks, but it keeps getting worse. I now have moments where I can't look my son in the face sometimes. And I feel so ashamed about it.
    I have state issued insurance. So I'm unsure what it covers. Counseling generally just reopens old wounds for me. The last time I tried it, I went from depressed to suicidally so. I have no idea what will help.
    Mummyofone

Answer by Mummyofone at 5:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2008