I thought I had heard it all

is it true you are not supposed to receive oral sex while you are pregnant? I just read in another post that it may cause air to get trapped in your vagina and travel through your blood vessels to the baby.
I have heard this with douching and I understand the biology of this but oral sex? I don't have a problem with my partner blowing air inside me. It is just licking on the outside.
Anyone have medical confirmation on this?

MammaMia72

Asked by MammaMia72 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'VE HEARD THAT BEFORE SOMEWHERE, BUT WHO BLOWS AIR?
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 4:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Oral sex is perfectly fine as long as you don't have any STDs or anything. The reason they say to not forcefully blow air up into your vagina (I don't know anyone who would want to do that anyway!) is because if air gets into your blood vessels, it can cause an air embolism. An air embolism is potentially fatal if not treated immediately. It's a scary thought, but doctors say that it's pretty rare and most people wouldn't be able to blow air up into the vagina with enough force to really harm you.

But yeah...oral sex is fine as long as your partner is okay with it!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• i had oral when i was pregnant with both my kids its fine i even asked the doc so its just a rumor
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• ok.. i have heard the air thing..but i heard that as a general thing ..if air hasnt got up there before you got knocked up, theres nothing to worry about now!..and dont try and not have oral sex when your preggo..you get some of the BEST orgasms when youre preggo..and especially from oral sex!!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would like to see the study that supports that. I very seriously doubt that there is one. All I know is I did it and recieved it throughout my pregnancies and both of them have gone great. I call Bull $#!^!
    Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 4:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• As long as air isn't blown up there you will be fine.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• it may increase your risks of getting group b strep down there, but that's only a guess.
    Anonymous

• my baby is dead if that's true! no, that is a rumor, don't be frightened by it.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2008