Any Estheticians out there working on their own......

I am just starting as an esthetician and am working in a Spa right now but I would love to go on my own. Any ideas and tips as to how to build my own clientele. I am working in a 8 to 5 office job right now and would love to work as an Esthetician full-time but I don't want to make that move until I have enough clients. My office job is very stressful and I am getting very tired when I get home. I love my Esthetic part-time job but the Spa I work at is not so busy. The owner is pushy and doesn't pay well. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• hey! I am a licensed nail tech and I may be able to help you a bit. I have been a nail tech for 15+ years and I have worked in a variety of settings .... hourly wage, commission, booth rent, been the salon/spa owner, and am now a booth renter again. It took me my 1st 4 years working full-time at JCPenney salon before I felt confident with "my" clientelle to be able to go to a commission shop.{{ I would be scared to start my own shop with less than 5 years experience, approx.}} Some great ways to promote your business might be: offer every client that arrives to that salon a "free" mini-treat. I would offer each hair service patron a free 5 minute hand/arm massage .... and I promise you that NO ONE said no to that .... LOL! Word of mouth is 200x more effective than any advertisement in any newspaper or etc! best of luck sister!
    willsmomma4ever

Answer by willsmomma4ever at 10:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• also, from a hairstylists point-of-view....KEEP ALL CLIENT RECORDS!! if the salon requires you to chart your clients, make a copy of each client, for your own records and keep it private. never leave your client records at the salon.
    also, get in the habit of pre-booking your clients before they leave the spa. you do want them to come back, right? some people get sidetracked and go too long between appointments..this way, you can give them a reminder-call a day or so before, and if they need to reschedule, do it. its a disappointment to have clients reschedule when you've planned on making a certain amount of money, but its better than sitting around waiting, if they 'forgot' or waiting to see if they ever come back!
    i'd also give a check-up call a few days after their visit..just to let them know you're thinking of them, and appreciate their business. NEVER FORGET TO TELL THEM HOW MUCH YOU APPRECIATE THEM!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Im a student cosmetologist and learning frommy teacher who had her own home salon she found her clients while working wiht others.

The big thing is making your clients feel special, make them feel that you are meant to be partners in their beauty goals.

You can also add to your commissions by offering products that YOU promote for thier hair and beauty. For example:
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• my clients will have Arbonne cosmetics introduced to them., I will also have a shampoo/conditioner etc.. line that I will promote to my clients.

These products will help me bring in money even after retiring, look into passive income, it will be way simple to build your retirement check like this. Stay at the salon, and if you have to find another salon that has more business.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Good Luck =)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010