How many Facebook friends for a teenager is too many?

My niece has over 700 Facebook friends, and I wonder if this is normal or excessive.

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 9:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My opinion, I don't think their is any way she knows that many friends and to me that is excessive. I think Facebook should more or less be a way to keep up with friends. When people and teens go overboard and add anyone who wants to add them they are putting themselves at risk. At risk for hackers, stalkers, and stolen identity depending on how much information they use on their computer.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with the PP, that is way too many people for her to actually know. I do know that it seems teens like to add anyone that is friends of friends so that could be the case as well. Still, if she doesn't know them personally, she could be setting herself up for trouble.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Regardless of if she publicly displays her address and phone number, the reality is that it's hard to find a kid - would be pretty easy, for example, to see what school she goes to and where the students hang out.
    That is too many people for her to actually know and is definitely excessive and is potentially putting herself at risk.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would say that's average for a teen. Think about how many kids they know from school and else where- they are probably facebook friends with all of them.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• As long as she isn't posting places where she is at, what she is going to be doing at a certain time, or publicly displaying her address and phone number it really shouldn't matter.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My neice has about that many, but she doesn't actually KNOW all of them. She will friend someone who is a friend of a friend. I tell my sis that this is a dangerous practice, but my sis doesn't seem to understand.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I got concerned about this when I found out MY (adult, male) cousin is on her page as a friend; he doesn't have any teenage kids. This niece if on my husband's side of the family, so I cannot imagine how she knows him! I am trying to gauge if this is weird or not.
    .science.mom.

Comment by .science.mom. (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Oh, so my point is, not everyone on her friends list is a teen she knows/sortof knows.
    .science.mom.

Comment by .science.mom. (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Right - not everyone is someone she knows. And sort of knows isn't good enough either. How many times have you heard on the news "I didn't really know him well, but he seemed nice enough ..." and he turns out to be a pedophile, a murderer, an abusing husband, etc.

That's what people are saying - it's excessive. And it's easy to locate someone. And it's easy to decieve, especially teens (who are not known for good decision making)

Yes - this is TOO many
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:44 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• excessive! My teens only friend those people that that personally know. School friends, church friends, parents that they know, and relatives that they know.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010