Plantains

I grabbed a bunch of plantains by accident and I don't have a clue how to cook them any ideas and what do I serve them with?? Any suggestions greatly appreciated Thanks in Advance. :)

liss05

Asked by liss05 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Oh yeah this only work with green plantains. If they are yellow here is another recipe.

http://thenoshery.com/2009/06/01/pastelon-sweet-plaintain-lasagna/
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Are they green or ripe?

Answer by older at 9:53 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Make mofongo is a latin dish and delicious. Here is a link on how to make it...

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/1078/puerto-rico-mofongo.html
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Grill and fry them, they are kind of like banana french fries. That's what hubby says.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You can cut them about 1 inch, peeled of course, and fry them until you stick a knife in the middle and they are soft, take them out and smash them then re fry then again until crispy, set in paper towel to dry off oil and salt them to taste, yummy!

Answer by older at 10:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You can wait until they get black on the outside (fully ripe). Then slice them in about 1/4 inch slices across. Melt some butter in a pan, place the plantain slices in and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over them. Cook over low hear for about 3-4 minutes. Then turn the plantains and cook on the other side. As they cook, they will turn a brighter yellow. When they are the bright yellow all the way through, they are done. In the mean time the brown sugar will caramelize. Be careful not to burn the sugar though. You have to constantly watch them. They do not taste much like bananas to me though. It is a totally different flavor. My kids did not like them at all. I do though.
    loves2cook74

Answer by loves2cook74 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• All of these recipes sound very yummy. I've never tried plantains but I've seen on cooking shows where they fry them
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 10:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• So yummy. Serve with roast pork, black beans and rice.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• if they are the sweet plaintains , peel the skin off, slice into inch thick slices , heat oil , put in pan and let brown, you can either fry them or bake them if you are making baked chicken or pork you can add plaintains to the pan and let them bake and they taste really good
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• They are just starting to turn yellow on a few of them but still mostly green.
    liss05

Comment by liss05 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2010