how old does a child have to be before they can eat gerber yogurt for toddlers?

I accidently picked up the wrong one and walmart won't let me return it. My daughter is turning one next week but I'm not sure if it is ok to give it to her so I haven't.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• mine has been eating yogurt before she was one. she loves it. she just had two for breakfast.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• About 3 months ago. Give her the yogurt. I really dislike when people follow everything to the book or what someone suggests. Experts have known to be wrong, they make suggestions and parents have to know their children and feed and do accordingly. My son stopped getting babyfood by 8 months and got tablefood and milk. I fed according to what I, as his parent, felt was right for him. And what his doctor suggested. Cereal at 2 weeks, 1 foods by 6 weeks and guess what? He was and still is, happy and healthy!! NO allergies and he is far from obese.

Sorry about te vent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Babies can eat milk products like yogurt and cheese after 6 mo. You don't have to buy special baby or toddler yogurt. Those are a rip off for Gerber to make more money. You can buy regular yogurt and take some out to feed the baby. You don't want to feed the baby from a container and save the rest because the saliva from the spoon will be in the left overs. Even better for babies and toddler is kefir. You can get it at health food type grocery stores and some big grocery stores. It is a yogurt/smoothy type drink that has multiple probiotics and is less likely to constipate or cause digestive problems. I fed it to my kids 30 years ago so it has been around a long time. It comes in several flavors. You can even make it at home. I drink it to help with IBS.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:29 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I started my kids on regular yogurt around 8 months(I used Stonyfield organic plain yogurt) - I've read it's okay after 6 months. Although they can't have milk, they can have other dairy products.

Answer by missanc at 10:53 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• unless it needed to be really chewed I gave my son just about anything from 6 months and on. Yogurt, mashed potatoes, my sister gave him ice cream but i wasnt too happy about that one.
    CookiMakinMomma

Answer by CookiMakinMomma at 1:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010