Which plan is better?

This morning the Republican National Committee blasted out a storyfrom The Hill about a new nonpartisan study finding that the poor will be hit hardest if all the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire. An RNC spokesman, taking a shot at the Dems' failure to extend the tax cuts, rhetorically asked: "What excuse will the Democrats use now?"

Here's the funny thing, though. While that study does indeed find that letting all the tax cuts expire does disproportionately hurt the poor, italso finds that the plan Dems have actually proposed on the Bush tax cuts is better for the poor than the Republican one.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/10/rnc_circulates_study_that_show.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It doesn't matter, every politican lies and does what they want for their interest groups and rarely, if ever, does it include the people that really need help. It doesn't matter who you vote for because they are all liars and out for their own. If you aren't rich, you lose out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We are talking about TAXES,tyfry7496.
    The Hill is a slanted-to-the-right opinion site...DIck Morris is one of the writers and that should give you a pretty good idea of how truthful it is.....not very.
    Washington Post? Better.
    I will just wait and see what the actual reality , the result,will be.

Thanks for the Links, Sweets.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• OP--So, you're FINALLY admitting that Bush's tax cuts were not SOLELY for the WEALTHY, right?!

That said, defining "wealth" is subjective. Someone who makes $25,000 per year would appear to be "wealthy" compared to someone living in poverty with 3-4 dependents. Someone earning $100,000 per year, with no bad debt, and 1-2 dependents would seem to be "wealthy" compared to the person making $25,000! Then factor in WHERE in the country they live! $25,000 in rural Kentucky may be living high on the hog, but in California that's enough to afford a cardboard box to live in!!

I think people forget the old government rule--"the more you make, the more they take!" And SOME peop;e actually believe that those who earn 6 figure salaries take home every penny! And trust me, that couldn't be further from the truth!!

The only thing the Dem plan does is keep the poor, DEPENDENT on them--from cradle to grave which equals SOCIALISM!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:29 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Waiting and seeing what happens...the hallmark of a socialist/pacifist who vests nothing into improving society or raising one's station in life. Which is NOT the principles that this country was founded on...that's exactly the type of mentality our founding fathers and every immigrant that came to America left their home countries for!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• http://www.uncoverage.net/2010/10/if-bush-tax-cuts-expire-in-january-heres-your-tax-increase/

Scroll down in the article until you get to the break down by income and what your new taxes will be. My husband and I fall in the $62K-$132K range. Our taxes go up 24%. We will be paying 1/4 more in taxes. I can't afford that. The 0-$27K pay 50% more. This is what isn't told. Allowing this to expire is bad. The dems say it will cost them $700B. How? They don't have this money. They aren't "losing" anything - the Amer. people are, but the gov't isn't. You can't lose what you don't have. This cut will only raise the rich by 20%. No, this is not being extended is going to overwhelming sit on the lower and middle class, and the dems held it up because they don't want the upper class to keep 20% of their $.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

Please post a link where I DID say that? LIAR

anyway..The dems plan would KEEP the cuts that BENEFIT the middle calss and poor.......

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Please post a link where I DID say that? LIAR
    __________________________________
    it's in one of the articles you posted. One would guess you agree with your source. Also, if ending the Bush tax cuts taxes the poor a higher amount, as you said, then the Bush tax cuts benefited the poor.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:58 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

__________________________________
    it's in one of the articles you posted. One would guess you agree with your source. I posted 3 links with different POV's....She was saying it as if I had been saying it...I havent

Also, if ending the Bush tax cuts taxes the poor a higher amount, as you said, then the Bush tax cuts benefited the poor. Some did, who said they didn't? This has always been about a certain portion

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• As far as which plan is better, I'm still going back and forth. If the Bush tax cuts expire, then that's four trillion dollars going into the coffers. If I could be assured it wouldn't all be spent on Marsh mice and soda, I'd be for it, just to pay down the deficit and be eventually debt free. It would suck for us, personally, because we were planning on redoing the front porch with our tax return from 2010, and there won't be very much, then, but at least it is a whole year to plan. It's funny that our taxes would go up 80 percent and the rich would only go up twenty.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2010