For my fellow non christians.

My question mark key is not working lol, so sorry in advance.

I live in a small southern town in the bible belt. Almost everybody here is baptist so its hard to get away from and its hard for my kids because so much of the social aspect for kids in this town hinges on the church.

Anyway, how would you feel if your kid decided to jump on the southern baptist bandwagon. Would you be dissapointed or pleased or angry or just non chalant about it.

I would be upset. I admit it. I would not stand in the way of my kids path, but I would question if they were really making an informed choice or if they were just going along with what their peers believe.

circle_of_life

Asked by circle_of_life at 10:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's tough. I would support them, definitely. I would not teach them to go against what they felt was right as a religion. However, it depends on their age a little too. I would want to be sure that they truly understood what that religion was about and what they were joining. Whether or not I was upset, I would never tell them what to and not to believe. I don't believe in one "right" religion, but in the same sense, I don't believe in many "wrong" religions either.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i turely am not a believer... and i was raised to make that choise on my own my parents didn't force us to go to church thank goodness and i would to the same with my son but if he does chose to want to convert then i'm all about as long as he wasn't preached to do so... my biggest thing are thouse who do that crap...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It's not what I would choose for them. But they get to make their own choices about what to believe.
    Beatlemama

Answer by Beatlemama at 10:52 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My kids are free to follow their own path....

Answer by older at 10:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Depends on the age of my child, honestly.
    I was exposed to lots of church activities in my youth. The biggest reason I went was to be with my friends and have a good time. I participated in all the bible studies as well. Sometimes I felt out of place (I'm talking under the age of 12) because I knew in my heart I didn't agree with what was being preached. I eventually stopped going.
    If I felt my child was super impressionable still, or I felt he was being pressured by his friends, id likely have an issue with it. But for the most part, if he decides he wants to join a church, I won't stop him. I was allowed to find my faith on my own and I will give him the same luxery. I'm not all about forcing beliefs. I'm all about finding what works for you, on your own.
    Exposure isn't a bad thing, generally.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• That is tough. I live in the South, too, and the baptist churches outnumber all others--and there are a lot of churches around here.  The Baptist church seems to be one of the strictest, least forgiving churches.  I've heard more heads of those churches preach more hate and intolerance than from any other denomination, so with that in mind, I'd have a very hard time were one of my daughters choosing that path.  That said, it is their choice, and they know it.  If they come to that choice on their own--without pressure from peers or family (my husband's family is baptist), then I'd have to respect it, as hard as it would admittedly be for me.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Depends on the age. Are we talking 8 or 18?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think it would depend on A LOT of little things. First off, WHY are they wanting to go down that path? Are they doing it because they honestly believe it's the path for them? Or are they doing it to be like their friends? Second, HOW do they react to the teachings that come with that path? DO they expect us to believe because they do or use those teachings as a way to push their new found beliefs on the family?

Really what it would all come down to is IF they were really on this path because it was their path and they were still able to live in accordance to our households religious neutrality, then I would support them all the way - I wouldn't see any issue. However, if they were doing this simply for popularity or if they chose to push these beliefs on us, things would be different...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It depends on what kind of person my child became because of his beliefs......and of course his peers will influence him....nobody lives in a vacuum and where we live and who we interact with does have an influence on what we believe, etc......doesn't mean we are being brainwashed....just means we affect each other...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• All depends on their age and the reason they wanted to go. I would support them if they were older and were going for the right reasons. Now if they tried to push us into converting we would have serious issues with that.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2010