What are some fun teaching things you do with your 2 year old?

I love being with my grand daughter that is 2 and want to start teaching her things, she knows some letters, colors and numbers but what are other things I could teach her or do to help her learn more?

kids_r_gr8

Asked by kids_r_gr8 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I go on starfall.com and do the alphabet and single letters with my DD. She can "read" (memorize) some of the books on there also.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Any activity can be a learning opportunity for a child of that age. I made pancakes with my son this morning, he does math with the measuring and science when the batter changes from a liquid to a yummy solid. Going outside you can talk about the different sounds that you hear and what you think they are, talk about the different textures you encounter like the grass or the crunchy leaves.

I've found the most important thing is talking to your two year old all the time. We talk about everything we do, he is extremely verbal and I think a of that is because we talk to him constantly.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Talk to her. About anything and everything, whatever you are doing- keep a running dialogue, and be as descriptive as you can. Asking her questions about the way things feel, or look, or sound is good. Even play time can be a learning experience if you involve yourself in what she is doing and talk about it with her. Example: Instead of "go get the ball" you can say "go get the little red ball" If she drops something: "wow! That made a loud noise didn't it?" Washing her hands: "isn't the water wet? Is it cool or warm? Do you like playing with the soap bubbles?" DD loves playing with simple objects and being creative with them; a box (as we all know lol) is the best toy in the world- it can be anything.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Read books, go to the park, pull him around in his wagon, watch movies/toon-toons, dance,
    empty the dishwasher, lol.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 7:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• try parents connect on nick jr's website.

they have a lot of activity ideas that will help them learn. Some you can print out, some are craft ideas, etc.

Flash cards are great for letters. Me and my daughter use to pull them out and we would make games out of them. (for every 5 she got right, she'd get a sticker, it also helped with counting because she was also learning 1-5 that way).

I also cut out shapes and we would make things out of the shapes. (like flowers, etc). It helped her learn her shapes. If you cut them out in different colors you can also practice colors this way too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• and picture books are great to help kids learn as well.
    xxhazeldovexx