Am I the only one?

You know , I have discussed this with about 15 moms here in my neighborhood! And we just dont know that many people who are so overprotective! And here on CM it seems like 95% are! Hard to believe! I am 24, a military spouse, and have 4 kids and one on the way! Here's the thing... Noone I know has these extreme theories! Like ERF, EBF, kids not dating until 16, and no soda even as a teen, or the famouse high fructose corn syrup debate! ANd there is so much more! I have very well behaved kids, and a very nice home, but I dont think it is that big of a deal when they are 15 if they eat hotpockets, or drink a pepsi a day! I dont feel the need to keep them from thie "big bad world" I dont see a problem with two 12 year olds going to a movie with me in another theater! And I cant understand watching food so extremely! I mean corn sugar hasnt killed anyone yet, as long as you limit! Anyone else feel this way?

JoLee12345

Asked by JoLee12345 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I agree!!! I have never seen so many panciky Moms!
    The breast feeding until they are 5 years old, the vaccination buzz "Idon't vax becasuse there is poison in it and kids won't get polio because their immune systems are so good", the co-sleeping, the "Doctors want to do c-sections all the time" and women are meant to push out the babies", the circucision is genital mutilation, the" I want my children with me at home ,not at schoo" fears, the "You are going to poison your child if you formula feed" bunch....ooooooh,my! Fear rules!
    My kids are grown up happy healthy adults--they were military brats.LOL. We vaccinated, formula fed, got baby sitters, went to movies, we didn't even own a car seat until 1970, and they lived!!! Haha.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The food thing is real. Our food is literally poisoning us. As for the other stuff, yeah i agree with you. A lot of people nowadays are way too over protective.
    circle_of_life

Answer by circle_of_life at 11:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes, there are a lot of paranoid parent on here.  I like this one. " Is my one month old constipated?"  Just because the baby did not poop today yet.  A lot of parents need to take a chill pill.

Answer by louise2 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with you being extreme in discipline will back fire...

Answer by older at 10:58 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I completely agree with you.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Here I am lol. My boys are 9 and 4. My little one will hardly eat anything except chicken nuggets, smoked sausage, rice and pop tarts lol. But I doubt he will go to college that way. I give him a vitamin and know he will grow out of his pickiness just as his brother did. They both play video games.. Heaven forbid!! They are both tiny, 9 year old is 45 lbs and technically should still be in a booster but he's at the age now where hes embarressed to be dropped off at school in a "car seat" so I let it go. I ERF my little one only until 18 months after seeing a video on here of the crash tests, and he wasn't yet 20 lbs. They eat candy, my 9 yr old can have a soda when he asks. And they are very intelligent well adjusted kids. Some people on here would have me turned into CPS for my 9 yr old playing the xbox games he does but ya know, who cares lol
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think the reason that it seems that 95% on CM are so paranoid and overprotective is because those that do have such strong convictions are more vocal than those of more relaxed mommies. I agree with you on sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from, our bodies react to them the same. Actually I agree with most of the points you have made. Everyone has different concerns according to what is best for their family but for the most part we are a very loving, respectful AND relaxed family:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• yea i say let ur kids live they gotta get used to the world the more u cage them in the more they will act out as teens... but then again... now that im a mom my son is 2 i always think when he get older im walking him to school everyday till hes like 11 lol... because im scared forhim to get kidnapped like other kids and ill never let him play outside alone.. but maybe ill get over it as he gets older... im just protective as far is him being outside alone which i think is normal.. anyone agree with me?
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Except for the EBF and ERF...I agree with you on all of it. My kid played outside alone at 4. Watched horror movies at 3. I have never sen censored movies or music. He got to spend the night with friends at 5....

I don't feed him crap, but, he does have soda and some other "not good foods". LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We eat the bad stuff.. but id rather not and would love to get off it one day.. but yes corn sugar is killing us.. it gives us diabetes, it makes us obese, it takes away years of our lifes. Its giving KIDS disease that was only found in the elderly.. It makes you feel more lazy & crappy & you get sick more.
    I did EBF for 6 mo. and nursed for 22mo.. I didnt ERF because I didnt know better but my next child will be rear facing longer...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2010