my 11 year old just told me that a girl in 6th grade at the middle school is going to have a baby!?

I am just so upset! where does the fault fall on this one? parents? kids? OMG what would you do if this was your child!! MAN!! so young? is it safe...so many questions going thur my mind right now!!

kids_r_gr8

Asked by kids_r_gr8 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Where I grew up it ws no big deal. By the time I graduated from HS there was a girl who had 4 kids by the time she walked across the stage.
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• That is terrible! I use to work on a few local maternity wards and I did get to see a girl that young having a baby, it was a baby having a baby! I have to place fault in the parenting, a girl this young needs a lot of supervision.

Answer by older at 11:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You do have to wonder where the parents are in situations like these. I understand that sometimes it takes both parents working to make ends at least wave to each other if not meet. But a sixth grader being pregnant? Is there no one who could have supervised this child and kept her busy so that something like this didnt happen? Supposedly schools are teaching sex ed but kids sleepwalk through most of that. Unless the parents take the time to talk to the kids (and please, a little more than just I know you're gonna do it sometime so here's a condom). And the way the kids dress these days arent helping the young ones stay innocent either! But the child, unless she was raped, is not at fault either.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• When I was in 6th grade, a 7th grader had a baby.
    It is happening a lot, sadly.
    I blame the parents
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think its ridiculous the the type, amounts, and availabilty of contraceptives keeps increasing, yet so does teen/unwanted pregnancies.
    People dont have any common sense these days.

When I was in HS there was 8th grader pregnant, & when I got to HS there were at least 2 babies/yr. By the time I was in the work program my senior yr I had 6 moms in my class!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2010

• When I hear things like this, I drop to knees and thank the heavens that I have 3 boys. My husband and done a wonderful job of teaching the two older boys how to stay protected and not get into that kind of situation.
    Bagofwind

Answer by Bagofwind at 12:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I've heard of a 12 yro old getting pregnant and she had to have a csection. It is so sad that they are having babies that young. I'm not dissing teen mom's or anything because my mom had me when she was 17.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I've heard of situtations like this. At the middle school I went to a girl was pregnant in 6th grade but didn't have the baby until 7th grade. It's really hard to imagine. I'm terrified about having a baby and I turn 19 in nine days. It just seems like a body that young wouldn't be able to handle it. I feel for that girl. I pray she has a lot of support and help because it's going to be really tough.
    SkylaDarling

Answer by SkylaDarling at 3:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Does she know this for sure? The girl could be making it up for attention. Just a thought.
    Yes, unfortunately, it does happen. It's really sad, not the best thing for her body at this age, and especially sad for the baby. Is this girl a friend of your daughter's, or just a classmate?
    If it were my child, it'd take me some time to get over the shock. Grounding them or whatever won't fix anything. All I'd be able to do is be supportive, and do whatever it takes to help out with the kid, and make sure MY kid graduates high school. And get her on birth control the minute we can after she gives birth. And lecture the hell out of her about sex!!
    I, too, have a boy, and we're not totally safe, ladies- they can be the one knocking someone up. Then WE are on the hook for child support until our sons turn 18, when THEY are responsible for it (who can afford child support at 18??). So it's important that our kids, regardless of
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• (continued)
    gender, know the truths about sex and birth control. They may have sex before we know it, and it's best for them to know how to be safe about it.
    musicpisces