How should I have reacted to this?

I’m writing because I need advice about my son, a 14-year-old. He came home from school yesterday with a slight limp, so I asked him what happened, thinking that he suffered an injury in gym or at practice. To the contrary, he told me (albeit reluctantly) that he had been hit in the balls. I asked what happened, he tried to dodge the question, I asked again, and finally he admitted that he had intentionally “grabbed” a girl's backside, and that she had kneed him.

On one hand, I felt bad for him because he was in pain from the knee in the balls, but, on the other hand, I was furious with him because I didn’t raise him to treat women that way. Quite simply, I was torn between A) sympathy and B) feeling as if he deserved it.

I don't know.

If you were in my position, how would you have reacted, and what would you have said to him?

Jessica6969

Asked by Jessica6969 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• It sounds like her learned his lesson. I wouldn't say anything :)
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I think he learned his lesson the hard way I would just let it go for now.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 4:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I think he learned his lesson. Tell you feel bad for him but, he shouldn't have touched that girl's backside and suggest that he not do it again, if he ever wants to have children. And remind that you think he deserved it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I would talk to him about not touching other people. My son who at 14 was messing around with a friend (girl) at school and he hit her boob and is now on probation for sexual misconduct it is crazy in this day and age they can't do things like this if she went home and told her mother they could press charges against your son so I would talk with him and tell himhow serious this is
    Anonymous

• I would tell him he got what was coming to him. If he don't want it to happen again don't do it it.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• No need to say a thing. It's called reality discipline. I would have made sure he wasn't really injured and been sympathetic for his pain but not for the humiliation he brought upon himself.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Sounds like the girl took care of it. I would feel bad for his pain, bu the got what he deserved, I would just make sure he is not seriously injured and tell him that I thought he deserved what she did and why.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Let it go!!!!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I would applaud the girl for not taking that type of action from a boy. I will point blank tell my son, first off, what he did was sooooo wrong, second, he got what he deserved.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 1:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i agree w/ most ppl.. let it go.. he did get a bit of what he deserved.... many parents say "I didnt raise the to do this or that" but it really isnt about you.. its about him.. what his friends do.. what the girls around him do or allow him to do.... my parnets didnt raise me to curse.. and up until i was 17 i didnt.. then got around a certain group of ppl and started cursing like a sailor... im trying to stop now bc im having a daughter.... but my parents cant blame themselves for that
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008