For those who don't live near family, who watches your kids when you go out?

I have a great 16 almost 17 year old babysitter that looks forward to watching my kids and sometimes calls me and asks if I need her to babysit. I don't know what I am going to do next year when she goes off to college. What does everyone else do?

I know it is hard to find people you trust.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do childcare for two families who do not have family nearby. They found me through www.care.com amd www.sittercity.com. You search by zipcode. I know some moms will say "oh no not the internet" but these families had no family around. I had a background check and my fingerprints done plus they called all my references. I did my homework about them too. My first day with each was just spending time with the mom and child. If you consider it, meet at a public place the first time to see if there is a mutual comfort level. And don't give out any personal information until you think it might be a match. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We don't have anyone. I need to get in the loop, but it's hard for me to trust people with my kids who aren't family. You know what I mean?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I just don't go out :(
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• When hubby was in college - it was his fellow students that LOVED the homecook meal in place of money for babysitting. The twins were always asleep and it was a great quiet study break for the guys (and it was always his engineering guy friends that babysit them).
    After he graduated, teen aged girls or boys from our church. We would watch which youth interacted with the younger kids the best.
    Now, they are old enough to not need a sitter.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My daughter is just a year old and I breastfeed, so I didn't really leave her. My mom did watch her while she was visiting for a couple of hours, but otherwise my husband and I didn't go out alone. She still nurses, but now that she's older she doesn't have to have BM when I'm not around and she can go longer. I have a friend that is always willing to babysit. We don't trade babysitting because she has her in-laws near that she uses, but my husband will do computer work for her. Last time we bought her a router and he connected their two computers together. Stuff like that. If she doesn't need anything done, then we would pay her, but for now she has a little computer to do list for him. LOL.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We just don't go out.  When we lived in PA our kids were 6, 5, 4 and an infant and in the 2 years we lived there we never once went out without the kids.

We now live on the other side of the country from all our family (except my brother who is an hour away and doesn't like kids).  We wait until the older 3 are in school and go to breakfast/lunch with the younger 2.  But until the youngest is in school we won't go anywhere without at least 1 of the kids with us.  We trust the older kids to stay home alone for a couple hours so we can run to the store but we have to take the baby.  Can't wait until the baby is in school (in another 5 years).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010