Depression and divorce

My husband has cheated and now has fallen into a deep depression. He comes in and out of mine and our daughters life. He has said he wants to be alone but when he is he is lonely. He was on depression medication but only for a few weeks it did help but he did not like the way it made him feel as far as the cold sweats side effects. He stopped them and took st johns wart for 4 months and that did not do the same as the prescription. He goes through so many moods he will be cold, angry, cry, distant, mean but never physical just verbal, his only focus is the negative and all of the anger and frustration goes to our daughter and I. He was the best husband and father for 24 years and then it was like someone flipped a switch on him that just made him the opposite. He has agreed to go to therapy but may cancel again. Any advice on depression and help with this would be greatly appreciated. He is not himself and he does need help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I am so sorry that you guys are going through this. 24 years is an amazing milestone and must make it even harder to watch him fall into such a destructive behavior. Sadly he has to do the work by himself it sounds like you are being supportive and loving which is all you can do. I can't imagine how hard it must be just encourage him to do some counseling not for you but for himself. So he can get back to the old him.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with Melbornj, you can't do anything else for him. He has to want things to improve for himself before he will get better. He is lucky you are so supportive and caring. I would make sure to get my daughter into counseling and myself. You can't help him, but you can help yourselves. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2010