BREASTFEEDING

I'M PREGNANT WITH MY FOURTH BABY.AND I'M PLANNING TO BREASTFEED MY BABY.THE FIRST THREE TIMES DIDNT GO SO WELL.BUT IM GOING TO DO IT AGINA,BECAUSE I THINK BREAST MILK IS BETTER FOR BABY.ANY MY QUESTION IS I'M HOPING THIS TIME IT GOES WELL,BUT HOW LONG CAN YOU BREASTFEEDING,I WOULD LIKE TO DO IT UNILT THE BABY IS TWO. BUT WE LIVE IN A WORLD NOW THAT PEOPLE LOOKS DOWN ON BREASTFEEDING AND THE AGE OF THE CHILD SHOULD NOT BE ON MOMS BREAST.BUT IM NOT DOING THIS FOR EVERY BODY LESS, I'M DOING THIS FOR MY BABY.SO PLEASE TELL ANY ONE THAT BREASTFED BEFORE HOW LONG CAN YOU BREASTFEED YOUR BABY?

baby5525

Asked by baby5525 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I breastfed my baby until she was 14 months. You should be able to breastfeed as long as you would like to.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of 2 being the cut off for a lot of children. I personally wouldn't but thats just me. I've never been to comfortable with breastfeeding in public or around anyone really. But I sure don't look down on a woman who does. If you're comfortable with it, 2 is a good age to stop.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 4:58 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• im going to do it for a year because of the benefits for the baby and how much cheaper it is than buying formular...15 dollars for a small tin...not worth it..id rather the baby have the best of the best ^_^

i say, do it as long as your confortable doing it =)
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 5:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I breastfeed my oldest till 18mo. Would have gone longer but all I heard from everywhere was 12mo. With my 2nd child I breastfeed till 2 1/2yrs. Would have gone longer but it was becoming unbearable with pregnancy. Again I plan at least 2yrs, probably longer. Many of my friends breastfeed as long as me. I would suggest you go to some LLL meetings. Keep this website on hand, contains the answers to all things breastfeeding and it's free kellymom.com. Know that growth spurts are normal and do not mean u should supplement! Just let baby nurse more, supply and demand will take over. Go to the book store and pick up a bk on breastfeeding. One that speacks to you. Good-luck you can do this. Also there are groups on cafe mom for breastfeeding toddlers/preschoolers
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I agree it just depends on you and how it would work for you. But i also had trouble breastfeeding my daughter, and they had given me a shield to use. IF you haven't tried this already please try it! If you just ask the hospital they will provide you with one, its just like a clear plastic thingy that fits over your nipple and helps the baby latch on and get milk easier, this saved not only me but the baby as well from stressing about feeding. (also it makes it much less painful! :) hope this helps!
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm still breastfeeding my toddler, he's 29 months old. Babies brains grow very rapidly during their second year, and breastmilk is tailored to that growth with nutrients that can't be found in other foods. Breastmilk changes to meet the needs of a growing toddler, and nursing longer can help prevent allergies, asthma, and other problems. The benefits to mom are amazing, too! You cut your risk of female cancers dramatically when you nurse longer. You reduce your risk of other diseases, including RA, Type 2 diabetes, and others.

There is nothing "wrong" with nursing a toddler or older child, our society just doesn't tend to accept it as normal. Personally, I will keep breastfeeding my toddler as long as we are both happy, and at this point I don't see it ending for a long while to come.

I really recommend you find an LLL group and try it out, as they can help you overcome any problems you had before.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 5:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I breastfed my first for three years and I'm still breastfeeding my 3 1/2 year old. He only breastfeeeds now once a day. The World Health Organization recomends breastfeeding for at least two years! Breastfeed as long as you and your little one care to. Visit my page I have a great article on natural weaning.
    unique_puzzle

Answer by unique_puzzle at 6:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I bf my first for 12 months because he self weaned, I would have gone at least 2 years. Mason is 23 months and still nurses 6-8 times a day, so I would imagine he'll be nursing well past 2. He will self wean also. As long as you and your child are comfortable, I would say bf until you baby is ready to stop, no matter the age. Society is a little behind, and you need to do what is best for you baby, not what society says to do.
    mommy22boys1

Answer by mommy22boys1 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I thought 2 years is the end for us but nw that she`s 2 i don`t see weaning anytime soon. it all depends on how you and your baby is in that moment don`t plan for it just do it as you go. it`s wonderful, priceless and beautiful. we can do more than what we think we are able to. you`ll see how great it gets every time.
    Good luck.
    marla24

Answer by marla24 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'm still breastfeeding my 31 month old. She nurses anywhere from 4-20 times a day. :) I'm going to let her self wean. Yes, I have received my fair share of criticism, but it's not their decision. My daughter still needs the comfort, nutrition, hydration, immunities and all that wonderful stuff still and she'll let me know when it's time to move on. The word "wean" doesn't mean to END something...it means to BEGIN a new phase of life. :)
    Haleygrrl

Answer by Haleygrrl at 12:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2008