What advise should we give to kids that are teased and picked on so they will know there is something on the other side?

I was teased so much in school for so many reasons. I wasn't "black" enough. I wore glasses, I had braces, I was a book nerd, I grew up in a house ( a lot of the other black kids from the school I went to were bussed in from projects) the list could go on and on. I just want to know what we should say to kids to let them know it is not as bad as it seems and can and will get better.

I know I did not handle it well when I was a teen, I would just fight back and then people learned not to mess with me. But there has to be a better solution than that, or all of the sad stories of kids killing themselves because they have no hope that it can and will get better.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• That famous qupte, Claud, is BULLSHIT! Why don't we talk to the kids DOING the teasing and tell them why it's not right to do it? Why are the victims the only ones being lectured when the bullies should be the ones being lectured ten times more.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• GinNTonic
    The bullies are often talked to, but they don't seem to understand that they are indeed bullies. As a teacher, I have talked to many kids that are bullies and they honestly do not see it. There parents do not see it as well. We have sent them to the assistant principal for discipline referall, have given them in school suspensions, and it continues because they do not see themselves as being a bully and neither do their parents.
    Bullying NEEDS to be addressed two fold. We need to try and prevent bullying, but until the bullies understand the fact that they ARE bullies, we need to help the victims as well.
    I try to let the victims know that I understand that the words do hurt, and that I understand that the other person was being a bully. I also try to get the kids understand that they should support each other against a bully.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think that as long as parents of bulllies refuse to believe that their precious children are really obnoxious bullies, then the bullies will just keep at it. I really think that we need parent training, not just bully prevention training at schools.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sticks and stones may brake my bones but YOUR WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME

Teach your children to stand there ground and to stand firm when someone starts teasing that they tease cause there not happy with there own life... To defend your self but show no weakness
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• quote*
    GinNTonic