is Soy bad for toddlers?

My DS may be lactose intolerant but I am more and more nervous about giving him soy. I hear about all of these horrible things with the hormones. My brother is a firm believer in soy and has sent me numerous documented studies that it is not dangerous. The reality is he is a grown man and my son is only 2 1/2. My DS LOVES his "milk" so I have to give him something (maybe coconut or almond milk) but if he is totally lactose intolerant he can't have cheese etc and that leaves us with mostly soy products. What are your thoughts??

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, I think soy is perfectly fine. Some doctors would recommend that you give them soy milk over anything.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I hear a lot of bad things about soy, mostly in animals though. At the same time I hear good things. I would ask your doctor. I personally would not use it because of what I have seen it do in horses and dogs. If you want I can send you links to those articles. Message me if you would like them.
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Personally, if you HAVE to use soy products, I'd say limit it. Soy isn't bad, but too much soy can have negative effects. I recommend the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze milk, and So Delicous coconut milk yogurt and ice cream.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• He is lactose intollerant he is going to have to get over loving drinking milk. People that are lactose intollerant can almost always have some milk products each day without problems. With experiment you can figure out how much. My adult son can have a small milk shake and is fine but if he drinks a large he gets miserable.

I have lactose intollerance and milk allergy and at times have to go on a milk free diet and it sucks! There are problems with soy and I only use soy milk on cereal or to bake with. Soy milk works in most baking. None of the other "milks" have worked for me. They aren't milk they are watered down nuts.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• he actually likes coconut and Almond milk much to my suprise. So he will be able to have his "milk". The only thing that bothers me is that neither of the latter milks have much protein in them. I was just concerend about the other Soy products.
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Kefir is a great alternative. People with lactose intollerance can drink it, it has several probiotics and the kind with fruit tastes good. It is a yogurt/smoothy type dirink you can get at natural food type grocery stores or large grocery stores. It's $3 for a quart, so it's not expensive. You can even make it at home. I drink it to help with IBS. It comes in flavors like cherry, raspberry, and strawberry and others for the brave like acai.

My 24 mo grandson is allergic to peanuts, eggs, wheat, rice, beef, chicken, and ham. That's what we know from tests yet he is still head to toe eczema. He is not allergic to milk but has never drank any. Kids with lactose intollerance or allergies have to get over they can't eat certain things. Lactose intollerance gets worse as you get older, it doesn't go away.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• He can get protein from eggs and a variety of meat. It's good to eat a variety of meats because each meat has different B vitamins. Of course hamburger, hot dogs, lunch meat, chicken nuggets, and processed meats are high in fats and or have chemicals in them and are the junk food of meats.

Here is a link for kefir and one for the brand I drink thats yummy!

http://www.kefir.net/  http://www.lifeway.net/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• From what i have read, soy isnt good. It contains really high levels of hormones. I would give almond milk for sure. Its healthy and tasty. Google soymilk causing breasts. Theres alot of complaints of it causing breasts in infants.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thanks!! i had no idea Kifir was lactose free. That would be wonderful!! Now to get the child to eat it. BTW he HATES meat...I JUST got him to eat all nat. organic turkey dogs and that is it! uug! He does eat ALLOT of beans and peanutbutter...uug!
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010