• In the Spotlight:

How should I have reacted to this?

I’m writing because I need advice about my son, a 14-year-old. He came home from school yesterday with a slight limp, so I asked him what happened, thinking that he suffered an injury in gym or at practice. To the contrary, he told me (albeit reluctantly) that he had been hit in the balls. I asked what happened, he tried to dodge the question, I asked again, and finally he admitted that he had intentionally “grabbed” a girl's backside, and that she had kneed him.

On one hand, I felt bad for him because he was in pain from the knee in the balls, but, on the other hand, I was furious with him because I didn’t raise him to treat women that way. Quite simply, I was torn between A) sympathy and B) feeling as if he deserved it.

I don't know.

If you were in my position, how would you have reacted, and what would you have said to him?

Jessica6969

Asked by Jessica6969 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know you're sad that hes hurting but he did deserve it. He should not disrespect women like that and I think he prbly learned his lesson. Explain to him that what he did was disrespectful and inappropriate and that he needs to think before he acts.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I have 2 boys and I would be sad because they were in pain but I would also let them know they deserved it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I agree with all the the other answers i would tell him sorry for what she did but you deserved it yu need to treat girls with respect and grabbing a girl in the but is not called for.
    tryingmom203

Answer by tryingmom203 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I probably would have laughed at him and said, "well you wont do that again, huh?"

At the same time, the pain of being kneed probably counts as time served in the school of cause and effect and would make any further discussion redundant.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My nephew got put on probation for doing that, he was charged with harrasment. So talk to your son about what is ok, just b/c other ppl do it doesnt mean he should. But I will have to say that good job to the girl she stuck up for herself and teen girls dont do that to much these day
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 6:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• You need to let him know he can actually get into a lot of trouble for doing that. However if it was one of my sons I would tell him he got what he deserved.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I'd tell him he got what he deserved as I hand him an ice pack. I'm not sure what kind of punishment I'd dish out, but he would be punished.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2008