what is a reasonable amount of time to be with someone before ya"ll move in together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• well, it really depends on the people and where they are in their lives. i spent the nite (no sex) with my current SO after the second time we hung out, didnt see him for a week or two, started spending a few nights a week there for the next 2 or 3 wks, then just gradually started moving in. about a month in i was staying there every night eventhough we werent totally exclusive at that point. after about 3 months i sold my house (stupidest decision ever) so i guess thats when i officially moved in. my son was living with my parents during this time though so that he could finish the school year at his origional school while i worked and finished college in the town my SO lived in (about 45 min away). i guess my point is that i think its usually best done in baby steps. as far as when, only the couple can decide that for themselves...sometimes you just know he's the one and sometimes youre horribly wrong...lol.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 3:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You know. I don't know that there is a reasonable amount of time. lol I honestly think it all depends on the people. Every relationship is different. You could move in together and everything could work out perfectly fine or you could move in together and it might not. Its just something in life that we all take chances on. We take chances in the name of love. And, we all learn from our mistakes. If you were my daughter .. I would say NOT UNTIL YOUR MARRIED lol But, we all know that, that's not always the case :) I moved in with a boyriend when I was 17 after dating him for 2 years and became the most un happy person and our relationship totally fail apart. Then two weeks after I moved out I met another man and we have been together for 6 years, married and have two kids together and we are happy! If you feel like its the right choice then its worth taking a chance! Good luck!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think a few years. I was with my husband 20 + years when he walked out and I never thought that would happen to me. He was perfect in every way until one day he woke up and said i feel different and walked out on our family. So be very careful and try and get to know them before you make this big move.
    2hurt

Answer by 2hurt at 12:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think 6 months - 1 year is a good time.

I did 't follow that, I moved in a month an a half later and 15 years later, we are still together, married and have 2 kids. if it feels right to you, then it might be right, even if everyone thinks it is wrong.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think it depends on the couple/situation.
    My sis moved in with her now DH 3 months after starting to date him. She had two kids, he had three and it was a freaking disaster. My neices are miserable and his kids seem to be allowed to torture them and my sister tells them that they are 13 and 16 and that she took care of them for that long it is now her time to be happy (which I totally disagree with sacrificing her kids for that, but that's another story).
    If you don't have kids and don't have a family to blend, the time frame could be different. I know a couple who moved in together after only a few months and they have now been together for almost 10 years.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• If you have kids I don't think you should live together unless you get married. If you aren't sure enough about the relationship to get married then you should have your kids living with him.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• With hubby and I, I was pretty much living here after a couple of months, spent more time here than I did at my apartment, but waited until my son finished middle school to give up my apartment permanently since we didn't have to be at school so early. I work at a high school that's 65 miles away and my apartment was only a few miles away from where I work so it was convenient when I had to stay there but once we didn't have to be up quite so early, I gave up our apartment and my son and I moved down here and we've been down here ever since (I still drive 65 miles to work though so he can stay at that school because it's one of the best schools in the state) and both of my other sons graduated from there and I want him to graduate from there too.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 12:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• If ou hae kids together or are pregnant I SAY NOW!! :) My husband and I moved in together after 6 months... got married around 9 months lol Good luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• 1 year.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well I would usually say about 1 year, maybe 2. My SO and I moved in together because I got pregnant 1 month of us being together. lol, so we moved into an apartment together have have been together ever since and are now in the process of getting a house :)
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2010