Whats the right age??

To talk to your child about sex my 12 year old came home from school and said his friends where talking about blowjobs WHAT!! My son knows about sex and we have talked to him about it but what else do they know and what age do yu start at talking about sex???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well 12 is too young to know that much about it but if he's hearing it from other children I'd have a talk with him that way he hears it from you.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 5:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I think that's young, too, but lets face it.... younger children are doing it!! I don't think its too young to tell him whatever he wants to know, within reason, of course. I would much rather my children be accurately informed than by hearing it on the bus or playground. He will undoubtedly get a lot of misinformation that way!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 5:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• if they are talking about that kind of thing, he needs to have the sex talk.
    I know 10-12 is certianly young, but I've known people who started having sex at 14 and 15 years of age, and so definatelly better safe than sorry, and I think that would be a good age range to start talking about it. The things that kids these days talk about, hear, and see,are absolutely rediculous. No kid that age should be talking about anything like that, but they are getting sexual at younger and younger ages. If you have to go over it again every year, or when they have questions, so be it!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 5:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Um when 11-12 year old girls are having sex and getting pregnant I think 12 is the right age. If he's already talking about it then YOU should take the initiative to make sure he got his facts straight. It sucks that other kids have to ruin it though. LOL I was in 8th grade when I learned what a blowjob was. I was kinda horrified!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My son was 10 when we had the talk. He started asking questions about biolagical fathers, because my DH is not his biological father. I explained things to him and then when he asked about the egg and sperm met I told him.

I also did not want him to learn things from his friends. I want to be the one to have these conversations with my children so they have to correct information. I believe that you need to be honest with your kids and if they are asking the questions then you need to explain things in terms that they can understand.

If he ever has a question about something he knows he can come to me and I will tell him the truth. I know 12 is young, but it is better to be safe about things then sorry about them

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• By 12 they are already getting info from their friends.... Moms' you need to talk to them about sex at 10!
    Then tell them if they ever have any ?'s about anything, you will answer honestly.... and do so!
    At 10, my oldest asked what a "slut" was? He heard it at school.
    At 12, my second, my daughter asked what "fingering" meant, because a friend of a friend let a boy finger her.
    At 10 my last born, asked why do boys do this, he held his hand up and showed his fingers in a V with his tongue out, between them.
    ALL FROM SCHOOL!
    MikkiB

Answer by MikkiB at 8:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• That's why I had the talk with my 11 yr. old. I don't want him learning about sex from anyone but me.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I start at 11 officially and do the birds and bee thing. I answered earlier questions with just enough info to satisfy the curiosity. Now, my girls are 11 and 16 and I take every opportunity to talk about it. Sometimes, I bring it up. I try to be casual and to wait for natural lead in but it doesn't always happen. At 14, they hear ALOT. The problem isn't how much they hear. It's how much of it is accurate and healthy. I am a school nurse and I can assure you that by this age some of his friends have had sex. Inappropriate sexual activities take place in all kinds of places in school and
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My best friend was already having sex at 11 and I was 14. Because of experience I'll be chatting with my daughter at about age 9---God, thats so soon!
    StepJenni

Answer by StepJenni at 9:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yes, kids begin talking about sex at early ages...I've begun the talk with my child and she's 7 years old...I would rather be the one informing my child of the nature of sex then allow her peers to discuss with her their views...Kids talking about blow jobs at 11 is not uncommon...sad to say but true...this is where you need to be more specific in the sex talk area with your child...since you now know that these kids are advanced, you have to take that stand an educate him to the fullest on sex...
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 11:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2008