what is the highest fever a babie should run before a trip to the er

cedesmommy

Asked by cedesmommy at 12:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If a fever is the only visible symptom, I wouldn't worry before 104 or 105...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I was told by the ped. to bring my son in if his temp got over 101....and thats taking the temp under the arm.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have always been told 105
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I thought they always said anything over 103 can cause brain damage. It it was me if it got up to 102 I would call 911 and the operator will let you know! Better safe than sorry!! Good luck!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It depends on the age of the baby. If they are younger than 3 months old and the fever is above 100 degress, you should call the doctor. If the baby is about 3 to 6 months, you can wait until the fever is over 101 before you call the doctor. After six months of age, you can then start to monitor behavior as well as temperature. If the fever goes over 103 degrees, then call, but if the temperature is only 102 and the child is acting extremely lethargic, then you should call then too.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I thought 105 was the danger point.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My pedi, nurse friend and anything i have ever read say that if you cant get a fever of 104 down after an hour of tylenol and motrin and cool baths etc to take them in. If it hits 105 take them in. My son had a fever of 104.1 and i put him in a lukewarm bath and gave tylenol and motrin and it brought it back down. I called the pedi to report the fever and she said i did the right thing.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Do not call 911 for advice. It is for emergencies. 101 is not an emergency or life threatening.

If you need to know something immediately call your pediatrician and the on call doc will call you back.

If it just a guideline that you need, call the office in the morning and ask about the fever protocol. Usually it is 105 that has not responded to medication after 1 hour.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• for infants, i think anything over 101 should get a call to the docs office and/or an er visit (depending on what the on-call says). for an older child, 103-104 should be reported and/or an er visit (again, depending on what the on-call says). 105 is the danger point. fevers are the bodies way of fighting off infections; they are a good thing. meds don't need to be given to toddlers until the temp is in the 103-104 range, or lower if the child is umcomfortable. always call the doc first. i wouldn't take my child to the er unless i couldn't get a hold of the on-call doc AND her temp was not being reduced by meds.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2010