Burping technique?

So I really don't think I have developed a good burping technique yet. Sometimes I get a burp and sometimes I don't. I try a mix of rubbing and patting my son's back. Any tips for getting those pesky bubbles out?

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I couldnt burp my son on my shoulder....The only way I could get anything out of him was to be sitting down on the couch one foot flat on the floor and the other let streched out and lay him across my legs with his head twords the bent leg and pat his back then...just something you can try to see if it works...if not then good luck and home you find something that works for him.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Either my 1st or 2nd was very difficult to get a burp out, so what we did was we would sit him up, tip him forward a bit , give a little jiggle then rub his back and he would let out a burp. My others were easy, you just had to shift them and pat and they would burp.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• 1. Try sitting baby up and use your hand to support his head under his jaw bone... Lean baby forward, and gently pat
    2. With baby on shoulder (pressure on belly) try rubbing UPWARDS.. My dad did this and it works everytime haha. Rub UP and repeat.
    101InfantryWife

Answer by 101InfantryWife at 1:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i had to gently bounce my babies to get them to burp.. like lean back and lie them on your chest and pat their bottom while you bounce them a little
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It may seem weird, but I make my son do sit ups. I lay him on his back on my lap, then (while holding his head) I make him do about 10 sit ups. I'll then bring him back up to my shoulder and usually he'll let it rip.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i also do a bit of gentle bouncing. the patting alone doesn't always cut it. Once I do that I usually get a good burp. I also pat her back in an upward motion which helps too.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 8:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Mine was TERRIBLE at winding, she just held on to them so tightly. We used to never sleep bc we'd have to burp her for so long that she'd sleep for 15 mins then it's time for her next feed. The best one I found was you sit down, have her sit on you leg, hold her chin gently in your hand, keep her back straight and then just lift your heel of the ground and bring it down. Do that about every 4-5 secs. It saved us.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 6:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010