My almost 4 yr old son refuses to potty train! Help!!

My son will be 4 on Dec 27.... He is refusing to potty train!! For a month or so over the summer, he was doing marvelous going #2 on the pot, and only had a few accidents with number 1.... Now, he flat out refuses to go on the potty. He says "he likes pooping his pants"... I am at wits end!
We tried ignoring the accidents and using positive reinforcement, but he honestly does not care whether or not he gets a sticker, treat, prize, you name it...
When he has accidents at home when he is watching TV, we turn it off.... Its like he is too lazy to go?
What should we be doing? My oldest son was stubborn too but he was fully trained by this point!
Help!

101InfantryWife

Asked by 101InfantryWife at 1:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah let him change his own pants and clean up after himself. Don't talk about it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My youngest is 4 and he is very resistive to going in/on the potty. We have tried the rewards, praise, encouragement and nothing works. He is being stubborn and using it as a control issue. I am ready to have him change his own pullups. I am also ready to put him right in underwear (no matter how much he screams about it) and hope that he won't like being wet and decide to use the potty.
    Anonymous

• Do you have him in diapers, pullups, or underwear? Stick to the underwear and yeah, make him clean up the mess if he chooses not to go potty. Make him go sit down on the toilet every half hour if he can't be bothered to go, whether he's busy or not.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• He is in Pull-ups because we can't trust him in Underware..

I have a ton of underware for him.. he helps pick them out! But he just pees in it.
    101InfantryWife

Comment by 101InfantryWife (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Like another lady said make he do the clean up work. It's probably at lot easier to keep playing and just go in his pants and than you just clean him up. Hand him a "baby" diaper (thats what we called them) and wipes and tell him to clean up. But you can't make him going in his pants a negative thing b/c I know other kids that have accidents and use to get in trouble about going in there pants would straight freak out if it was truly an accident. I just wouldn't pay much attention to it and kind of make it his problem... sounds kind of bad but that it kind of what it will try it into
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thanks for the idea! Starting now, I am going to make it "his problem" and see if this changes....he hates being wiped after pooping his pants.... So maybe this will get him turned OFF to the idea of going in his pants.
    101InfantryWife

Comment by 101InfantryWife (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I never used pull ups or diapers for my kids, but they are girls and I heard boys are harder than girls. I used underwear with my first and she was potty trained in a month. My second it was 2 or 3 months, but I always used underwear while we were at home
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• One mom suggested taking away the most important thing in the world to him....his currency. Maybe saying "no TV" until you use the potty or whatever his most favorite thing is. Another said she put the favorite thing in sight but out of reach. It only took 2-3 days for the child to comply. These ideas are for the older kids like yours who completely understand what is going on. Good luck with it!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Have you tried making him sit in it? I know it sounds gross but maybe if you didn't clean it up and he actually had to sit there for a bit and feel it he might stop. Good luck to you, I hope you figure something out. That has to be tough!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010