Pacifier used to reduce SIDS?

A friend of mine that works in a daycare center told me yesterday that they are being told that having a child fall asleep with a pacie is being proven to reduce the risk of SIDS. I have never heard of this. Has anyone else heard this and do you think it is true?

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've read it on the SIDS info that was given to us at the hospital and in some baby books. This is from www.sids.org

9. Offer your baby a pacifier. Some studies have shown a lower rate of SIDS among babies who use pacifiers.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Never heard anything about that.....And I dont think that it is true.....My DH works in either L&D or in the NICU and he has never said that to me.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i don't possibly see how and i look deep into theories to see the plausibility of them and i just don't see any logical reason why this would work
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I have heard of it but not from a doctor or anything just another mom I know. She said it has to with constant sucking, if a baby is always sucking then there is less of a chance of breathing to stop. It makes sense but I am not sure if it's entirely true.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Never heard of this. Had 4 children - none used pacifiers and no SIDS. 2 were front sleepers (Before the back to sleep campaign started) and 2 were back sleepers. I think it truly is random with no rhyme or reason.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Lillysmom- When a baby is sleeping they are not sucking the paci. If it starts to fall out they will wake up and suck it back in but there is no constant sucking.

Twinspluss2more- Im with you on this. My son never had a pasi and was a front sleeper. He would not go to sleep if he was on his back...i got a lot of $hit for that because everyone was telling me that i was killing my son for having him sleep on his tummy...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thats kind of what I was thinking. The only time my son will even take a pacie is when his tummy is upset usually because I cant get a burp out of him.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It has been proven. I have heard this a million times. It is even on the binky packages. I was told the same thing by my sons Pediatrician as well. I can see how it works, a baby who is sucking or keeping a paci in it's mouth does not fall into a deep sleep.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Shellii, my kids never would take a pacifier so I guess I just assumed when a baby took a pacifier they were always sucking, I guess the theory doesn't make sense then.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I never heard about it till right before I got pregnant with this one. I have not used one and will not. I have only heard it online here.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010