Dye in the washer

Have you ever dyed something in your washer, the dye is the RIT brand and I have to dye a all cotton, crochet, long coat I made for the fall. Each skein was slightly different shade of black, so I want to put the who thing in the dye to even out the differences.
Will the black leave any color on the inside of the washer if I do it in it? I am also considering doing it in a huge storing container, but doing it in the washer seems to be most effective way. I am just very worried about ruining the washer on the inside.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 1:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have thought about doing this but was scared, I hope you get some answers.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would not do it in the washer. The storing container would be a safer bet. In my opinion i think that all the die might not get out of the washer and could mess up your other clothes.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• iam not sure hun, have you read the back of the bottle ? i have never done this at all,but i think you can do this in your washer.if it were me after you dye your item i would put some bleach in and run your washe with noting in it just to make sure the black dye does not get on your other clothes. i hope this well help you out.have a great day.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The colour will not stay in your washer... but it also won't do what you want it to do to your garment.

Because the fabric you're dying is not a uniform colour now, it will not turn into a uniform colour when it's dyed. The darkest parts will get darker and the lightest parts will get darker, too --but not enough darker to match the darkest areas.

For your next project, be careful to get skeins that are all numbered with the same dye lot, and you won't have this problem.

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I couldn't get enough yarn at once, unfortunately there wasn't enough in the store, since the coat is pretty large, the difference between different skeins are quite visible. I wonder if I just stretch it over a big piece of tarp and spray the dye only on the brighter areas maybe it will work.
    Oh brother, I have done so much work, it is just the right size, beautiful pattern and perfect cut for my figure (pretty voluptuous), and now this boo boo happens. I guess it is another learning experience.
    BeaMoore

Comment by BeaMoore (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Actually using the washer is fine however after dying you must run a hot water and bleach rinse 2 times through before using the washer for regular washing!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 7:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't use the washer...I would dye it in the bathtub instead! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010