38 weeks prego question about breastmilk comming in!

I was taking a bath a few weeks ago and i noticed a yellowish liquid on my nipples, I'm sure its just Colostrum but then the other day after i got out of the shower there was a clear fluid coming out as well. Could this still just be early Colostrum or could i have an infection?

sunnidays

Asked by sunnidays at 5:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like its just the colostrum but if you're worried about it don't forget to bring it up with your dr at your next appt
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 5:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I agree with the above statement. I am also 38 weeks today and I dont have any leaking yet.
    I have my csection on november 3rd so in a week basically.. :D but ask your doctor. I dont think you have anything to worry about
    KSixberry

Answer by KSixberry at 5:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Colostrum can be clear, yellowish, or whitish. It can depend on what you eat and how your body is processing everything. What you described sounds completely normal. I wouldn't think it is an infection unless you have other symptoms of an infection, like a fever.

joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I didn't think it could be an infection, I haven't had a fever or anything, but i was just concerned! (first time mommy) Thank you for the reinsurance.
    sunnidays

Answer by sunnidays at 5:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I had the exact same thing you had. When you get in the shower, your breasts feel the heat, and 'drop' milk (or in this case, colostrum). You don't really realize how much or how little cuz the water washes it away. But if you breastfeed you will notice that when you pump, the more you pump from one side, the lighter (more opaque) the milk gets. This is because your milk actually comes in two parts. The first part of the milk is creamy, and more filling. The second part is more nutritious.
    I really wouldn't worry about it. If it does concern you, talk to your doctor... I had the same issues though, and it was all natural.
    Mummyofone

Answer by Mummyofone at 5:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• It's just colostrum and it can vary in color but usally always transparent, from tints of clear, yellow, or greenish like varying shades of olive oil. I had tons my first pregnancy but didn't notice any in my other preganncies
    undercovermomma

Answer by undercovermomma at 5:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• thank you everyone for the help, every thing is normal and went into labor on the 27th now i have a beautiful baby boy!! thanks again
    sunnidays

Answer by sunnidays at 10:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2008