5 month old will not nap??

My ds is 5 1/2 months old. He absolutely will not nap unless he is a)nursing, b) riding in the car. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do. I've tried many versions of CIO method to no avail. I try nursing then laying him down he immediately wakes up. Rocking for 20 minutes he immediately wakes up, etc, etc. Any new "tricks" out there?? Or just someone else who has gone through this as well. He's my third and I never had this problem with the other two.
On a side note, he's a fantastic night sleeper. Always a minimum of 7 hours usually 9-10hrs. I hate to complain b/c of how great he is at night. But the daytime is wearing me and everyone else in the house down!!
Thank you all

parris3

Asked by parris3 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our solution is nurse then burp then put DD on my back in a wrap or Ergo and I go do what I need to do. She will sleep if she is tied to me, otherwise, she will manage to stay awake the whole day. She is 4 months.

Baby wearing with the right contraption is awesome for your butt and thighs walking laundry up and down the stairs with the baby on you!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Perhaps he's hungrier than you're allowing for? It may be that if he nurses more frequently, he'll nap more easily?

Also, have you tried 'wearing' him? In a baby-carrier that is comfortable for nursing in, you could at least get on with everything else you feel you need to, without needing to lay down with him.

I've known so many kids who had so much more fortitude in getting their needs met than their parents had in their ability to listen to the kids cry it out, I'm astonished that I ever run into anyone willing to suggest it's ever effective. In my experience, it never is. I suppose I just don't know people with kids that malleable.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Also, he will not take a pacifier. I've tried 5 different varities. And he won't suck his thumb. He's only satisfied nursing...
    parris3

Comment by parris3 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• What about music that makes you feel tired because it is so mellow. I tried that with my kids and it did the trick. I was even falling asleep from listening to it. A baby at 5-1/2 months should be able to nap without a lot of trouble.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My pediatrician says that you need to try to avoid using a pacifier because it will shuffle the teeth that come in around and then you will have the expense of having to straighten them. He recommended not using it to begin with.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2010