i married a colombian, does my husband have to go to USA with me

i am a USA citizen, met a man online and decided to go to colombia to meet him. ended up getting married. now we been told that he have to come back with me to USA and live here for a period of time

Joann V.

Asked by Joann V. at 1:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Don't know --the rules are complex and seem to change from person to person. A friend got married in Canada and his wife wasn't allowed to step foot in the US for 2 years, until all the immigration stuff was done (to prove they didn't get married just for her citizenship or something). When my sister got married, she couldn't leave the US for much the same reason. It's just too complex to say.

Ask an immigration lawyer and an INS agent and you'll get at least 2 answers.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• There are requirements you have to follow to make sure you didn't just marry him for him to have citizenship here
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 4:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010