Do you feel...

that people these days are making new mothers TOO paranoid about SIDS? I just had my first child a month ago and I will say that they doctors and nurses scared the crap out of me with all the do's and dont's to prevent SIDS. I was so paranoid about everything. Over time I am coming to realize some of what they are saying is just crazy. I mean, if it is a little chilly in my house, I am going to cover my son with a blanket! I asked another question regaurding SIDS and this question came to mind.

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son always used a blanket. It was only a receving blanket because it was summer time but we keep the house kinda cold and he was fine. But yes i do think that new moms freek out about SIDS and a lot of people do because they do not know what causes it. That is what is scary.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I understand that they have to take every precaution because unfortunatly there are people that might not realize and give the baby a huge blanket or a pillow or a teddy bear.... I take things like that with a grain of salt just like alot of others things in life that I think are severly over dramatized....not to say that I dont think sids is real or a real problem I just think that it is a little overboard. Trust you instincts as a mother its the best advice you could ever get.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I feel that you need to know. Because if they didnt tell you all that stuff and your child did die of SIDS, youd wonder why the heck they didnt tell you. Nothing to worry about? yeah it is, my children used blankets and everything but i knew what that might cause, i knew because the doctors told me. They are only informing you, that way they basically saved there butts!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree with you.

In sympathy with the professionals who do not want to encounter even a single other tiny dead body for the whole rest of their lives, I can see clearly why they are so terrorized by the whole idea of SIDS. But the fact that they terrorize parents with their own fears, I think, is unprofessional.

What is even more unprofessional is their personal determination that co-sleeping is wrong and dangerous, in spite of the mountains of evidence from all over the world that it is not only natural and healthy for babies to sleep with their (sober and non-drugged) mothers, but where it is practiced the SIDS rates are a fraction of the number here in the land of what used to be called Crib Death.

The only reason the name changed is because the manufacturers of children's furniture lobbied so hard for it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't think so. It's important info that all parents need to know. There are simple things we can do to reduce the risk, and the more the info can be spread the better. One of my favorite products is Halo Sleepsacks - because not only do they reduce the risk of SIDS by providing a safe way to use a "blanket", it actually keeps LO warm all night because it can't get kicked off.
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 6:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2010