Sons and Daughters

Why do ppl feel that boys should have more freedom then girls? Boys can get in just as much trouble or more as girls. They are less responsible (most) and can be careless. There are just as many preditors and pervs out there hunting boys as are those looking for girls. I dont get it. Why is it ok for a son to have a girl in his room but not ok for a daughter to have a boy in her room? The consequences of pregnancy are the same for a son or a daughter. What are your views? Do you allow your son to do more than your daughter?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• Mine are still young but they will be treated equally. If they dont then that teaches that girls will be treated different then boys when they get older and that is just not the case these days. It also can teach your daughter that she is helpless when she is not.
    I like the answer above I am the same way, my boys were pink if they want and I hate all the girls clothes b/c they are all pink. My SO has a shirt that says tough guys were pink.
    My boys play with dolls too, I think it will help them in the long run to be good dads just like little girls to be good moms
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 6:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I persoanlly can not answer that question because I have 2 daughters,but, I do agree with you 100% .
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• It's a double standard. It's very true that boys are just as susceptible to the dangers of society today as girls are. But it's no different than men being looked at one way as opposed to women. I don't think it'll ever end : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Heh, don't ask me. I am proudly feminist -- my son likes the color pink and people act like I should discourage that? It's a freaking color. I have a weird pet peeve -- I don't do a lot of fast food, maybe 3 times a month total that I will go through a drive through and get them some kind of chicken, fruit and juice.. anyway the McDonalds by my house always asks if its for a "BOY or GIRL" -- bah! What if my daughter wants a transformer? :) I hassle them and say it depends what the toy is.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I think on the aspect of girls being allowed in boy's room and visa versa... It shouldn't be allowed either way! Hello! Former Teen mom here..... A boy was allowed in my room and look where it got me! I have two girls and you are damn right They won't be having boys in thier rooms until they are moved out. If i ever have a boy.. the rules will be the same! Gender shouldn't be an excuse for anything. That being said... Our society has this Eve Complex. Eve was the one to pick the aple and have Adam and herself expelled from the garden of Eden... Since out society is so strongly based on Religion.. Women are sinners.. there for any girl is suseptable to "tricking" a boy into things he shouldn't do. some people even think that female rape victims "encouraged" thier attackers by the way they dressed. It's sick.. but it's how it works here. do i make sense?
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 8:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Oh i just wanted to add... I don't actually believe that women are sinners (I'd be in hell right now if i did) Just pointing out that it's a societal flaw we have
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 8:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2008