Did you children sleep with you when they where little?

I took a lot of grief for this over the years. Each of my 3 sons slept with me when they were little. My husband has a huge snoring issue and has his own bedroom. I felt that if it made my sons feel more secure then so be it. My oldest son is 22, married and US Marine, my middle son is a computer science major at BSU, my youngest is 10 and sleeps in his own room. How many of you decided that your kids childhood goes by too fast and if you had to give up the first few years of their lives to make them feel more secure your did it?

Bagofwind

Asked by Bagofwind at 2:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• My children all slept with me at one point or another....well my one twin didn't really like sleeping with me...she would play more than sleep, but I tried with her. The other twin slept with me for 8 months, and my now three year old slept with me for 18 months, until she decided on her own she wanted to be in her own bed. When my fourth baby comes in December or January, he will also sleep with me. It makes me feel more secure knowing they are right there with me (Even when my one twin wouldn't sleep with me, she still slept in my room in her crib, not 5 feet from my bed!)
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I did.

It often surprises me the kinds of comments this idea elicits, the most common one being 'they'll NEVER move out of your bed if you let them in.'

Because we all know that when we were 10, we were just impatient to sleep with our parents. Oh, yeah.

In fact, after a recent round of drama and breakup, my youngest slept in my bed one night. Dh is at sea and her sister (who she would have crawled in with, had she been home) was out. She cried, I held her. We determined that Boys are Stupid, and slept in late.

Imagine the poor child knowing that no one was there for her, crying alone in her room because that's Where She Belongs. Who wants to experience that?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes, both of my kids. When I had my daughter i was really young so she didn't haver her own room and slept with me sometiems in her crib sometimes in the bed. My second sleeps with us most of the time. But with my third me and dh decide that is better keep her in the crib because we both sleep so bad at night. We are trying to get my son to sleep more and more on his toddler bed. SOmetimes he does and sometimes he doesn't.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 2:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• sometimes if my 2 month old daughter an i want to take a quick nap when my fiance is at work she and i will take a nap in my bed. we have a 1 bedroom apartment, my fiance and i have the bedroom and Lyric has her crib in the living room which is a very big room. she sleeps great in there and when we put her to bed she, my fiance, and i all get a solid 9 hours of sleep before she wakes up for breakfast. she doesn't need us with her which i think is great and lets face it, when you're asleep you're not actually spending time with the child no matter where they are sleeping. also i cannot sleep w/o my fiance, i need to be touching him and we both spend plenty of time with Lyric when she is awake so co-sleeping is not for us.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My son slept in a bassinet in my room until he was 4 months old and then he slept in the pack n' play in my room until he was 6 months old. When he was 6 months old he got very sick and so for 2 weeks he slept in my bed with me so that I could make sure he was still breathing and he felt comforted. Well after that, he didn't want to go back in his pack n' play. He is now 14 months old and still sleeps with me. At this point it is too late, in my opinion, to let him cry it out in his crib (which I wouldn't do anyways) because he only understands that he is alone in a room and I am not there. When he is old enough to understand that he needs to sleep in his own bed in his own room, that is when he will be moved out of my bed. I have gotten a lot of grief over it as well but I am more comfortable knowing that my son feels happy and safe with me, than just letting him be upset and cry just for the sake of him being in his own bed.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Girl please my children, dd is now 23 and son 27, will still crawl next to me on rare occasions if space is limited due to holidays or they are not well or we fell off while watching movies when they are visiting. We separate ourselves by sleeping at opposite ends of the bed and blankets. They were spoiled rotten as small children. Everyone is different but every child seeks that feeling of security and no one can tell you what is best for you and your children. There is nothing wrong with your children sleeping with you until they, and you, feel comfortable for them to do so alone or at least until they fall asleep and you put them to their own bed.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thank you all!!! I knew that I was not the only one. I feel better now, you are all sooo great, I am really glad that I found this site.
    Bagofwind

Comment by Bagofwind (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My kids have always coslept with either me or their father... I wouldn't have it any other way!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I guess I am a mean mom, because I never let my kids sleep with me. I bought them a crib before they were born and that is where they slept.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• A.Perry, I agree with you.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010