Do you throw birthday parties for your kids for the SOLE purpose that they remember it when they get older?

Anytime I read on here things like, "why throw a 1 or 2 or 3 yr old a bday party? Its not like they are going to remember it when they get older?", or even better, "when spend X amount of money on a bday party for a 1 yr old (or 2 or 3 yr old), when they would never remember it?" I dont get this. Is that the only reason you have bday parties anymore? Just so that the kid remembers it? Maybe its just me, but a bday party is to celebrate the DAY. Make it all about the kid for a change. Have fun with their friends, open tons of presents, eat cake and ice cream and call it a day. If they remember it great, if not, great too. Thats why there are video and still cameras anyway, to capture the day. I just feel like its selfish to only start celebrating bdays only when the kid can remember it. Bdays are also for the parents too, I must add. We can also have fun and "remember"the day even if the kids do not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes it is all about the day and should be celebrated no matter what age they are...I completely agree with you op!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I started celebrating when they were 3 or 4, so they could remember, and that they do!

Answer by older at 2:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think the idea revolves around the 'well, they don't need anaesthetic, they won't remember it' variety of 'children are blocks of wood, not people' mentality.

We celebrated their birthdays because it was their birthday. And they did remember --for a long time. Not anymore, but they did. I don't remember most of my birthdays, and at past 40 I've had a lot of them. I think that would be a very silly reason not to have celebrated them, don't you?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• There's a difference between celebrating your child birthday and throwing a huge expensive party though. I've always *celebrated my sons b-day, but it's always been a small get together with immidiate family. Thats what I had when I was a kid and I wouldn't have it any other way looking back.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 2:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I started celebrating at my son's 1st birthday- I have to admitt that party was more for me, so I could remember. But really I have parties for him so that he has a great time right then and there. If he remembers, great, if not, oh well.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The 1st bday party I felt was a more like "we survived our first year of parenting & look what we have to show for it" -points at child..
    Her parties are NOT for her to remember. Its for her to have fun & enjoy. No matter the age. Its so family/friends can gather around & enjoy HER. Its a day she can get spoiled & its OK. It is for that day.
    you may not remember everything in your life, but the memories are in your heart... If you grow up for 5yrs with fond memories of a grandparent & they pass away, im sure you may not remember.. but will feel a connection & can still hear wonderful stories of you 2 together.. My dd will not remember her bday parties. but they are scrapbooked w/pics, stories.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We have b-day's because it is their birthday. And my kids deserve to be celebrated, they are great. We have always just had a few friends and family over. I guess this year it will just be friends.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i want all 5 of my kids to have a day just for them where the attention is all on them! We take pictures, and have a great time! I think it is important especially when you have many kids!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would also like to add that growing up I never had birthday's celebrated so I have always made sure my kids get big parties...I have one planned for next Saturday with 20 boys coming to my son's 6th bday party..he is my only boy and I almost died after I had him there is so much to celebrate that I cannot help but think it should be extra special..heck on his 1st bday I made big goodie bags for all the kids at his daycare, sounds like a bit much but like I said he is the only boy and I about died to give him life
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I agree. I throw them for MY memories, and to celebrate the day MY KIDS were BORN. Even if they don't remember them all, they enjoy it at the time, AND I have PLENTY of pics and video to show them when they are older.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010