how do i get my breast to soften up while nursing?

mommy2three5

Asked by mommy2three5 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• The only thing that helped me was pumping. My DS wouldnt latch, but I was giving him my BM via pumping. Anyway I guess the pumping wasn't enough cause I started not producing enough and had to supplement with formula.... ANYWAY lol pumping softened them a little bit. Enough for me to be comfortable!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 2:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I kind of worked them around I am not sure if that makes sense. I would leak a little but it would reduce how hard they were and make it so that the baby could latch on easier and it was not as frustrating. Pumping did not work for me but is worth a try.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Um... what?

Are you very engorged and the baby's having a hard time latching? One of the easiest ways to diminish engorgement is to put a green cabbage leaf in each bra cup... in an hour or so, the engorgement will be gone.

It is increased blood flow that causes engorgement, not milk sitting there, so cool compresses (not hot, which makes it worse) will help.

Nursing more frequently can help...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• If you are engorged you can hand express just enough so that baby can latch on. Then give it time. The engorgement phase doesn't last long, especially if you nurse often. After awhile your breasts won't even get a full feeling and that is perfectly normal, too, and does not mean that your supply has dropped. It's all about your body self regulating.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2010