How can I live with my husband whom I can't stand anymore?

sybil66

Asked by sybil66 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• You don't !!! who is forcing you to?

Answer by older at 2:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You just do...I can't stand my husband but it is in the best interest of the kids to have a 2 parent household. Divorce is hell and I would rather suck it up and keep myself busy then turn everyone's life upside down
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Get over it?

Remember back in the olden days when you thought he was All That, and probably a bag of chips? Well, he's still exactly who you thought he was then. Back then, though, you thought his quirky 'flaws' were 'cute' and spent all your time thinking loving thoughts about his strengths and assets.

Now that you've lived with him for a while (because familiarity breeds contempt) you take his strengths and assets completely for granted (you're entitled to those, they're just normal and everyone is like that) and believe that in order for him to be even slightly acceptable as a human being, he must change his flaws and weaknesses (the way you think he should) or be held forever in contempt.

It is typical of people to get into a relationship with someone who is completely different from themselves only to turn around and say, effectively, 'you're so refreshingly different, now turn into me because I'm right and you aren't'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It depends on why you can't stand him. Is he abusive mentally or physically? Leave immediately! Take the kids and find a safe place. Is he having an affair? Kick him out. Or are you bored? If the two of you have grown apart, work on the relationship! Step away from the computer and whatever he does to hide and both of you work on it. Marriage is hard work! Thanks to Hollywood we think we should treat relationships like we do our clothes or our home decor. You get sick of one, you throw him out and get another. I'm not trying to judge you. You just left such an open ended question I'm having to guess here.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Those of you who think it s better to stay unhappy in a relationship for your kids, you are doing more harm than good, don't you think your kids sense and know you are not happy and the tension at home, is this good for the kids?or is it better to have two happy separate parents than two together unhappy?

Answer by older at 2:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Leave him...people change
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• why would you want to live with someone you can't stand?
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 2:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• What kind of response are you looking for? How would you feel if your husband wrote that on a social network about you? If you are honestly seeking advice then I would ask that you be more specific about your situation.. otherwise it really isn't helpful for anyone especially you if you really do need some help.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 2:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Better question: why would you live with a husband whom you can't stand anymore?
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would do whatever makes you happy and if this is not making you happy figure out why and either stay or go but sit down and figure out what is going to make your life better only you van know that and if this is not it let go,
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010