Medical Question: Amnio late in young mother's pregnancy

We just discovered that our daughters's firstmom was recommended by her doc for an amnio while she was pregnant with her. This is strange for two reasons: (1) she was a teenager and (2) the amnio was scheduled for very late in the pregnancy (mere weeks before due date).

The medical records indicate that it is related to pre-natal drug use. But not every drug user has an amnio, do they? Does anyone know why it might have been recommended?

There is no way I can ask her for reasons I cannot disclose. I just want to be on the alert for any medical problem that might reveal itself as my daughter matures.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Adoption

• Usually, that late in pregnancy it is done to see if the lungs are mature. Babies with drug exposure can sometimes have under-developed lungs at full term birth.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Talk to your Pedi. to see if they want to do an assessment of your daughter.BTW in my last two pregnancies I had serious pre-term labor and in one needed an amnio at around 35 weeks ,then needed the meds to hasten lung development.He is a healthy bright 14 year old that is on the A team for cross country and basketball. So no long term effects from the meds.Have her accessed but chances are her lungs are great.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 5:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• No, that isn't something that is done during every pregnancy in which the mother has done drugs. I agree with matthewscandi - they were probably checking for lung development or maybe even birth defects, just to be prepared when baby was born.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• speak with the dr.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010