If you like a name and so did another family member would you use it?

This other family member called the name but has since had a miscarriage. I know it is a sensitive situation and will be in the future also...and this would have been their 6th child. They called the name from the very beginning, but now..my DH and I like it too and we were going to use it if they had a girl...so should we or is that too mean??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Baby Names

• DOnt do it..find a different name or ask them.As you said it is a sensitive situation
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i think you should both use the name, there isn't such a thing as your own name. someone somewhere has had or does have that name. but play nice and ask or tell them about it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think it would be in very poor taste and could be terribly hurtful to those who have lost a child.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would only name a child after a dead relative if the people intimately involved thought it was honouring and flattering. Your family might like to have a living child named after their lost one. They might, alternatively, think it's insulting, overstepping the boundaries of good taste, or bad luck.

You'd have to ask them all to find out.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think it's a little insensitive. Perhaps a compromise would be using it as a middle name?
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Could you use it as a middle name??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Personally i would just find a different name!
    If you honestly cannot find a different name then i wouldnt do anything without asking those other family members what they thought about it.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't do it.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 3:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I would ask them if they minded if you used it. It would kind of be a slap in the face if you just used it and didnt ask them.
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2010