Why cant married people have the oppisite sex friends?

I see on here so many people always telling one another it's wrong for them to have male friends and it's wrong for the SO to have female friends. Seriously? Where's all the trust? I don't give a damn that my husband has female friends because I TRUST him. I have more male friends then female and my husband don't care because he TRUST me. I don't see how having a friendship with the opposite sex can destroy relationships. They only way it will get destroyed is if you let it.
So my question is why is so bad to have friends the opposite sex? I rather have male friends then females, because as a female myself I know we tend to get really bitchy.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• They can. It's not reasonable to rule out half the population as potential friends simply based on gender. Only highly insecure people resent it when their partner has opposite-sex friends.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It doesn't destroy marriages or relationships. People are their own worst enemy and love to blame their shortcommings on other people instead of realizing their own faults and insecurities
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I am with you OP, I don't understand it. Almost every one of my best friends is male, and my DH has no problem with it. (Most of them are friends with him too!)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think it's up to the couple...what ever works for them is fine...some couples are not comfortable with having the oppisite sex as friends while others are...but its not WRONG.... to have or not to have friends of the oppsite sex...its how the couple feels about their relationship wheather they agree with it or not....my sis and her hubby is totally for friends in their relationship...while myself/DF wont allow friends of the oppisite sex...but neither me or my sis is WRONG or Right... It's what we are comfortable with in our relationship..JMO :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 3:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Seriously, if you don't trust someone don't be with them!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE FRIENDS OF THE OPPSITE SEX IF THERE IS TRUST BETWEEN HUSBAND AND WIFE IF THERE IS NOT TRUST WHAT IS THERE
    YUMMYNANA25152

Answer by YUMMYNANA25152 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• The only time it's wrong to have a friend of the opposite sex when you are married is if you become too involved with the person who is not your spouse. It's perfectly fine to have platonic friends of the opposite sex --hubby and I both have friends. We trust each other and we don't hide anything.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010