When should I file/apply for Family Courts?

The real father of my baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. I'm very close to my due date and I never know when the little one will actually pop out. I'm just wondering when the best time to file the papers for the court, because I don't want to wait to late then have him to come after the baby and try to take custody. If there's anyway anyone can help me that would be great! I don't want to lose my baby or anything that I built up. Thanks :)

BabyB101510

Asked by BabyB101510 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• File paper for what exactly?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 3:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Full custody of the baby, cause he doesn't want anything to do with it.
    BabyB101510

Comment by BabyB101510 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• File now.. the sooner the better.. also he can't take nada from you.. he has to show that he is the father, of course he can contest particial custody once the baby is born.. but they may take time with the courts.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Okay, thanks...I'll fill out the papers and send them in. I don't really care for the real father, he does stuff that I don't want my baby to get into
    BabyB101510

Comment by BabyB101510 (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I don't believe you can do that until you have actually had the baby. I don't know if I would terminate rights unless you believe he would kidnap the baby or until he seeks some sort of visits and then it will be in the judges hands.

If you terminate rights that would mean in the event of the father's death your child would not receive social security benefits.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 3:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• http://singleparents.about.com/od/legalissues/f/unwed_mothers.htm
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 3:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• in most states you can't actually file anything UNTIL the baby is born.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2010