Is anyone familiar with the Marines?

My SO has talked about joining the marines as long as I have known him, he know wants to join. He is scheduled to speak with a recruiter this week. What I am wondering is, since he & I are not married yet (we have a set date for 3/5/2011) with 3 kids that are ours together, will me & the kids be able to go with him? Idk if my question makes sense, I am researching now, but I know a lot of great woman here know a lot about the military.

jjk45xox

Asked by jjk45xox at 3:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't know for sure...but I do believe in order to go with him and live on base you'd need to be married. If you're not planning to live on base, then you can go with him, but I don't think you'd be covered by the Marine's, it'd be out of your own pocket. I saw a show (not a drama, scripted show) about a young man wanting to join the Air Force, and this is what they told him, so my assumptions are that the Marine's would be the same. And I know you can't get on base without a military ID, unless you get signed on by someone with one.

He'd still have to go through boot camp and training, right? Which from my understand the marines boot camp is the longest, so maybe depending on his date to ship out to camp your wedding date would be close enough after that you wouldn't have to worry about it.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 3:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• For you and your three kids [with him] to receive ANY benefits (like moving with him wherever he's stationed), you MUST be married. What I would do is go to the courthouse and get a JOP (Justice of the Peace) marriage done. That way, on paper, you're married. You can still have the big wedding on your original wedding date. Once that is done, it's pretty easy after that. Just make sure you have all that paperwork after the JOP is done when he's going to boot camp. It will make getting his pay figured out much easier.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• That goes for any branch of the military. They all use DFAS for their pay as well as the same health insurance.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You can live off post where ever he goes.So yes you can go with him.BUT i see nothing wrong with getting a marriage certificate now and then having a big wedding on the date you picked.It just makes things easier.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• my husband is in the navy but works with the marines. you will have to get married to receive any benefits and for him to live off base or all of you guys to live in base housing. i do not know if they will accept him as a new recruit with 3 kids. nowadays they are placing limits for that. you will have to ask.
    basic training is 9wks, then the job training varies. you wont get to talk to him much at all during that time. you can write letters and you might get 1 or 2 phone calls.
    he will deploy alot. but they are short, only 6-8 months long at a time.
    and remember, recruiters will lie! dont ever think they are 100% truthful.
    lundaylove

Answer by lundaylove at 3:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thank you everyone!!! He has been wanting to do this for so long and that is why he has a scheduled time to meet with a recruiter. We thought we would have to be married, jop is definitely fine with us. We will just have to wait & see what happens and if he's even accepted. Thanks ladies!!
    jjk45xox

Comment by jjk45xox (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• You can do with him but every dime for moving expenses and rent is own your own. When you're married then you'll get BAH (basic Housing allowance) Some branches won't allow unmarried men/women to live else where until a certain rank. (That's how the Navy is)
    Recruiters lie so damn much, don't believe everything they say.
    Deployment is actually a year long, use to be 18 months but they cut it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Who should he speak to instead of a recruiter? I don't want him to receive false info
    jjk45xox

Comment by jjk45xox (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• A recruiter is all he can really speak to about enlisting but make sure you don't believe everything he says. Maybe he can find someone who is in the Marines and get basic info and advise.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• YES You can go with him. But First before he goes, you must get married. He will be at boot camp you cant be there for that. You can live off base while he is at B/C. When he graduates there they will move you together as a family unless he is a Officer, you will have to live on base at the point. If he is deployed you will have to stay at base but there are wives there that do group activities to keep you busy. You will need to get this done Quick. He will get Fair housing which means depending on what state you are in you will get a certain amount of money to live on each month. Deers is your medical . You will get MIDC (military ID cards) for each family member. You can talk to a Recruiter but get the CO for the recruiters. Tell him you are getting married and DON'T by into any of his BS about get married After B/C Do it now Less paper work.If you need more info, you can email me.haillystorm@yahoo.com
    pumpkindreams

Answer by pumpkindreams at 6:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2010