Why do people think that 8lbs is a "big baby"??

That is a very average size, "big" starts at 9lbs.
Why do doctors want to take babies out because they are 8lbs when womens bodies are MADE to push out babies that size and even bigger???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Some women aren't made to push out large babies. I have a very tiny frame and my son was 8LBS. I was told I could never deliver a baby naturally if they were that big. I need but I tore and had to stay in bed to prevent further damage for a month. My husband and his brother was over 10lbs and since they were so big they had to be c-sectioned.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Because the shape of some moms I don't know lol. I was induced with my first because they said that if I go over my due date I would end up with a 10 pound baby and my hipes he said was to small for me to deliver that size baby. She wa s8.1 when she was born. I also had to have forceps. Baby number 2 I was induced because they wanted me to avoide forceps again she was 8.7 to me they were big babies because both of my babies were practicly holding their heads at birth
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• ??? that kind of stuff drives me crazy.
    just remember its your baby and your doctor can't make you induce if you don't want to
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Doctors are almost as bad at interpreting statistical information as non-doctors are. I also think their desires to do deliveries on schedule affects their judgment.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• if your vagina rips then it's a big baby for you. 8 lbs was big for me because i did have quite a few rips after...8 lbs might not be big for some but it is for others
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• but I do see what you are saying I mean how did they do it back in the old days? Because I don't think they did c-sections back then did they?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Well. That is true that average is about 7.5 pounds, But it is NOT true that "doctors want to take the baby out" if it is over 8 pounds.....what the heck? Many of my friends and relatives have had babies that were over 9 pounds and they had normal vaginal deliveries. My son was 8 pounds and facing the wrong way, but I had him,almost without pain,vaginally, in a few hours with just a local for stitching up the episiotomy. Where do you get your information?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think that most people are used to babies being about 6 or 7 pounds, so they consider an 8-pound baby a big one. By that definition, of course, then a 9-pound baby would be huge. Our son was 7 pound 15 ounces when he was born. Who knows how big our next baby will be.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 3:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• oh and with baby number 2 I wasn't told I was asked if that is what I want and I said yes since I experanced induction with my first and I tore with my first, but not my second
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• i think thats a perfect weight for a baby...on the other hand my little sister was a big baby at 10lbs when she came out...she looked like a little pork beautiful...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 3:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2010