Took a hcg serum blood test yesterday 10/25, the test was negative and nurse said to expect period but things online say if i concieved late in ovulation a blood tast wouldn't be accurate yet. So how does she know i should expect my period and i'm not pregnant?

Really want to be pregnant seems to be taking long time this time ( would be third child) i went for a hcg serum blood pregnancy test and came back negative (10/8 first day of last period) and the nurse told me to expect my period, that i'm not pregnant. When looking this up online i mostly read that these tests could still be false negatives depending on when you concieved during ovulation. So does anyone think it's possible for me to still be pregnant this month?

ibbryant

Asked by ibbryant at 5:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I had a false pregnancy blood test too, so yes it is possible to still be pregnant because of it being too early.
    Sims8386

Answer by Sims8386 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• GO TO THE $ STORE AND BUY A TEST. i TESTED NEGATIVE A COUPLE OF TIME BEFORE I GOT MY POSITIVE, I WAS TESTING TOO EARLY.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• more answers please!
    ibbryant

Answer by ibbryant at 7:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Yes it could be wrong. There are two different types of "blood" pregnancy tests, both are done off of serum.

The first one is the one that you have had done - Qualitative HCG - in which case they use the same exact test that they do for a urine test, they simply use your serum instead, and just like a urine test, it can come up with a false negative, although it is rare.

The second one - Quantitative HCG - is the kind that is actually ran on a machine, and actually measures your hormone level. If you do not start your period, I would request that your doctor order you this test to know for sure.

Source - I work in a lab. This is what I do! lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• yeah too early to test. My last period started on October 5th and I'd only be 3 weeks pregnant. You need to be like 5-6 weeks pregnant to test or on ur next period. How many days is ur cycle or whatever?? 28 days? 27 days?? Mine is 28 so my next period would start on november 3rd.
    Anonymous

• You do NOT need to be 5-6 weeks pregnant to be able to test. I did the Quantitative HCG and found out I was pregnant at 3 weeks.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2008