what questions should you ask yourselves to realistically decide when to have a second child and also to decide if you should have a second child?

this is a big decision for anyone to make, it does not seem reasonable or responsible to 'just let it happen and see how it goes', if you have to make the decision as a human whether to possibly change your familys life and future for better or worse then thinking clearly about all the things that could happen with the good and the bad when making this big decision its the most responsible thing to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• well, we are financially very stable, we are catholic, and beieve that God should choose how many and when we have children! I am havig # 5 in january, and i love being a mommy! And DH does 50 % of the wrok, so we are a great combo! I dont think that we should play God when it comes to life! JMHO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Here are some questions that come to my mind: Can you and your partner support a second child financially? How many children can both of you support? How much more money are you going to have to spend on the second child? What things would you need? Are you willing to sacrifice your personal time with your partner to concentrate on the children? I am sure that there are plenty more questions that all of us should ask, but I can't think of any more right now.

In my mind, you shouldn't ask if you are ready for another child because nobody is ever ready to have children. if all of us waited until we are ready to have children, the human race would go extinct.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 4:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• prior to getting married how many children did you discuss having???

I don't really see this as a big question in ones life unless there has been a major life change to the discussion that took place prior to getting married... or unless you actually got married with out talking about any of this.

We always talked about 2-3 kids so when it was time to try for number two it was just a natural progression of the life we had planned together. Number 3 since that was not a 100% decided was a discussion.  Financially there was no issue, and since Im a sahm it was VERY doable.  We talked about 10 min and our hearts just said YES YES YES.

IF it is something that you have to think about THAT much.... better not do it. 

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• this one is tough i do think that asking yourself if you are able to take care of a child financially is definatly a big one to ask, its important! but then again where does one draw the line? no one is ever really financially ready and no one really knows if their financial status could change also, thats why so many people are on welfare.
    RobinEsMommy

Answer by RobinEsMommy at 4:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• For us we looked at it from a financial, our time, what we wanted to do later in life,etc. We decided one child was it for us. We want him to have more of our time, college fund, and overall he can do about any activity he wants b/c money is no issue. We also wanted to pay for private preschool and school. We can't do that if we have more children. We realize to some people all these reasons are "stupid" but to us they are important. :) I had the mirena put in for 5 years then I will get my tubes tied.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2010