spin off of another question. What makes you have big babies?

I mean is it genetic? What? I was 3 pounds and 7 ounces although I was early by 2 months. DH was a twin he was 7 pounds as a twin not sure if that is big for a twin? All my grandmas side and moms side of the family had 5-6 pound babies. My biological father was 10 pounds not sure about the rest of his family. So what makes a big baby? Genetics, what you eat?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My 1st and 2nd babies were over 10lbs. and I did not have gestational diabetes and I am only 5'3 and normal weight and only gained 20-30lbs with each. I was a normal 7lb. baby and so was everyone on my side of my family. My DH was over 10lbs and everyone on his side of the family was too. I have gone to numerous geneticist and was told from their over 30 yrs of experience and learned that the size of baby comes genetically from the woman's side. Not necessarily from family but just how your body grows a baby. Big babies also means a lot of amniotic fluid too also from how your baby grows a baby, which I always have too. About a gallon give or take, versus the normal/aaverage amount of a pint, which adds another 8.5lbs to the big baby. I am 37 weeks with my 3rd and the baby is already over 9lbs. according to my geneticist. I also had my babies naturally and will try again but also ready for a c-section if I needed one too.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 5:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Genetics primarily, but also severe weight gain during early pregnancy, and gestational diabetes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I did not have gestational diabetes or heavy weight gain and I still had a ten pound baby.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• When I looked it up....
    It says genetics, maternal diabetes, congenital hypothyroidism, wiedemann-beckwith syndrome, and transposition of great vessels

http://www.homebusinessandfamilylife.com/big_baby.html
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My son weighed 11 lbs and 10 oz when he was born and I didn't have GD. My husband failed to mention that big babies run in his family. His grandmother gave birth to five kids. The first was born weighing 9 lbs and the last (my fil) was born weighing 13 lbs.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Sounds like you have already heard.
    ;-)

alishott: "the moment the vagina rips it means you body was not built for a baby that size"
    That is incorrect.
    Tearing has to do with the opportunity the tissue had to stretch, mother's position, baby's position, and genetic factors.

I can tear badly with a smaller baby and have no tear at all with my 10-pounder.
    Avoiding coached-pushing, etc., is very relevant!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• It can be genetics, or it can be something like gestational diabetes or other disorders. Babies as large as 12 pounds have been safely delivered vaginally.
    It's good that you've asked around the family. How far long was your DH when he was born? I have a friend who delivered 7 lb twins around 39 weeks, which is incredible, as most twins are delivered early (then again, most of the time, an OB is happy to do a scheduled c-section with multiples).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• I think it's all of the above. Plus when you get the diabites during pregnancy that can effect you having a big baby as well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• My doc told me it's the foods you eat..but it has to be healthy foods...and also their DAMM vitimins...LOL :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 4:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Could good nutrition be part of it?

I did not have gestational diabetes or any problems. I worked out my whole pregnancies. I only gained 25 pounds with both babies. I ate very well. I'm a smaller sized person.

Both babies were well over 8 pounds and labor was rough on me. So my only guess as to why they were so big was because I ate well??
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 11:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010