eye styes

I took my daughter to her pediatrician a few months back for a sty on her eye. She said it happens to lots of kids but we shouldnt have to worry cuz it probably happens 3 times in someones lifetime. In the past two months, she has gotten 5-6 styes. They aren't regular styes though. They grow pretty big and visibly are full of puss. They occur mostly on her outer bottom eyelid. She doesn't really complain but I'm concerned if it could be harmful if the puss or blood gets into her eye. My infant also got one full of puss also so I don't know if its contagious.
When I noticed the puss, the doctor didn't take that great a look at it and just said its a regular sty. Any shared experiences, opinions, or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I'd always heard that stys are cuased by nose discharge getting to the eye. Maybe talk to your daughter about using tissues when rubbing her nose and washing hands more often. My duaghter likes to run her nose and eyes at the same time when sleepy. She's 1, so not much we can do about it yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• GET A SECOND OPINION.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• btw my daughter is 2-1/2 and the baby is 7 months.
    Anonymous

• YES a sty IS contagious! Never sqeeze or rub it. It can spread it. Also Aply a warm compress 10 - 15 min 4 times a day using a diffrent face cloth EACH time. They DO make stye relife eyedrops. I would also get a second oppion. She MAY need surgical draning of the stye. Good luck hope she feels better!
    gypsy_rose

Answer by gypsy_rose at 5:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• that's where my concern is. The doc says a sty is a clogged gland and isn't contagious, pink eye/ conjunctivitis is contagious but it looks nothing like it. There are two docs at the office and the other is too busy to disagree. does anyone think it could be something else. I feel like they are tired of seeing us at the docs for runny noses, rashes, styes, and other "little things" I just feel bad for my babes.
    Anonymous