Can I as a single mom, go to cosmetology school and still provide for my family?

Okay I'm not really a single mom, me and my children live with my boyfriend. Right now I'm barely working and pretty much all the money I make pays for our groceries and my truck payments.

I'm currently going to school online for my bachelors in legal science (blah right but I have an interest in the legal field).

However, I've always had a real passion for anything to do with cosmetology. I was enrolled and about a month into cosmetology school when I found out I was pregnant with my son, I got really sick and dis-enrolled and had plan to come back once he was born. However life changed and I didn't and I've regret it.

I would love to be able to go to cosmetology full time and possibly just work part time in the evenings and weekends, at a different job.

I'm pretty sure I can get state assistance for child care, and I can get financial aid for cosmetology school.

But I'm scared, what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• As far as I know, that profession makes pretty good money. I have nothing to back that up with though... I'll give you a bump.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 4:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• yes you can, especially with the pell grants. i got a pell and got cash from mine (something that my school does) to help pay expenses with living. my bf pays all of our house bills and my son's father takes care of him while i'm at school. not everyone has the kind of support that i have to go to school but i do know tons of single mom's that do it, even pregnant ones! i love it, school is hard bc it's stressful but on the other hand i will be done in dec and able to make money!!! the best thing you can do for yourself is do research and find the school that's right for you, be your own advocate, and get a clients that you like. tell other's to tell other's about you and you will find that you have a "career" as a student stylist.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Thank you ladies so much! You guys are really building my confidence to do this! Now I just have to figure out how to tell my BF.
    kslawmama

Answer by kslawmama at 5:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes you can, If your school is kind enough they will take some of your grant money and give you living stepinds every month!

My school gives me $500 a month and at 250 hours of school I will be on the floor making tips, congrats on your decision, we have lots of older gals in our class who waited alon time to come back, like you they regreted leaving the first time!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Truthfully right now, no. My Fathr in law has been in the field for 30+ years, and business for everyone he knows in the field is DOWN a minimum of 30%....so unless you are really fortunate enough to land a BIG DEAL spot ina a hot shot place, I would wait a bit longer.

The legal field..its interesting I have a WAH business that goes RIGHT ALONG With that..if you would like more info on how to make a FT income PT from home with that message me
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Yes you can, I went to cosmotology school a few years ago and there were a lot of moms in my class. it is possible if you want to go for it !
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2010