Does anyone have any cheap but good Christmas gift ideas?

For Christmas each year we pick names to buy for. Since there are six people in my family we have to buy six other people gifts. Here are the ages of who we need to buy for: 3 teenage nephews, baby nephew, 21 y.o niece, 45 y.o sister. Along with these presents to buy I also have my own three children (age 6, 9, 12), stepson (14)and hubby to buy for. I am wondering how to cut corners and get cheaper presents this year because money is tight. Any ideas?

jlemaycox

Asked by jlemaycox at 5:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Shopping

• Your niece and sister might enjoy a basket of goodies or home spa kinds of items. You could go to a bakery and get breads, cookies, and other treats. Get a couple of coffee mugs and some hot chocolate packetes. You can usually pick up baskets at the dollar stores. Grocery stores sometimes have small packets of facials and foot soaker (can't remember what they are called). I think I have bought them for $1 or $2. Get a couple of those, nail files, nail polish, and some bath salts.

You could get $10 gift certificates to a music store for the boys.

Don't worry! You have plenty of time to get creative.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I STOPPED DOING THE EXTENDED FAMILY CHRISTMAS EXCHANGE. I BUY FOR MY GIRLS, IF I AM ABLE TO THEN I BUY FOR MY SPOUSE, AFTER THAT IS MY MOM.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Last year our family decided not to do extended. We just did a white elephant exchange instead. But anyways, I'd just look for age appropriate gifts in the clearanced section. (that works for the toys for the younger kids.) However, teenagers?? hmm. I know hubby and I had to buy the presents for all the kiddos at church, and we had a $10 limit. We just got the older ones gift cards.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 6:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Border's gift cards for the teens and adults. They have books, music and movies....a lot for less than $10. And they can always add cash if the card is a little short. If you don't like the cards, give them books ...even the toddler....or a fun calendar for the older ones.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• ooo I have done the gift cards for 10.00 and that is a great gift and I love getting them too. Boarders gift cards are my favorites
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• I shop all year online at a company that gives me 10% to 15% back free so now I have $400 to spend at Christmas. I buy all my gifts all year long through them and most of my household shopping too.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 2:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Check out http://www.silkfair.com for great unique items for the holidays. I am sure you can find things here that are not commercialized, and make it very special gifts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 31, 2008