heat source...electric,fireplace, or propane

How much is your winter bill?

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 4:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Gas furnace. About 85.00 to 110.00 a month, depending on how cold it is in the winter. My thermostat is set at 68.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Too darn much. I'm so glad we haven't had to turn on the heaters just yet. I'm still trying to get caught up ffrom the summer!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• we have a gas furnace and a fireplace...just moved to a bigger house so I dont know what the bill will be like yet, hoping to keep the thermostat down to at least 68, don't plan to use the fireplace though since my DD has asthma.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Growing up, we had a wood stove... It costed nothing because I had two brothers and a step-dad that chopped all the wood. But it was such a pain in the ass!! The house was always dirty with wood chips and stuff, if you were the first one awake, you had to start the fire- if you couldn't get it started, then you had to freeze until someone else woke up, I could go on and on about that subject... I have a gas heater now- our bill is a heck of alot cheaper than in the summertime.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 4:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• If you live in the country like i do the wood stove would be the best for you, especially if have a husband or significant other will cut the wood, put the wood stove in a basement if you have one to keep the dirt down. Another option is Coal stove but i produces alot of Dust through out the house and a icky sulfur smell. There is and oil furnace as well that uses a type of diesel fuel which in my area is about 2.78 a gallon depending on your squarefootage of the house etc.... I have less than a 2000 square foot house and we pay about $3000.00 a winter for fuel. I've had propane in my house as well and it seems like the price doubles!
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• Our whole house is electric.  There is no gas hook-up at all.  We have individual electric space heaters in the walls of most of the rooms (no heat in the bathrooms, though).  No clue how much our electric will be this winter since we just moved here.  It's running about $75/ month this summer but we have no AC and only 1 fan.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• we only have electric, so ours is usually around 300/month (we have a two story 3800 sq ft home)
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 4:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• We have gas heat and we set our thermostat on 72-74 I hate being cold it's about 115.oo highest dead cold winter we have about 3500 square feet house
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2010

• GAS - its pricey...have wood fireplace but don't use it because of the kids
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010